Tropical Fish Keeping banner

Tank Mate for Festivum and Bolivian Ram?

5K views 7 replies 2 participants last post by  jaysee 
#1 ·
My 56g column tank currently houses 2 Festivums (one is getting rehomed ASAP, though, due to the fact that the original Festivum did not take kindly to the new guy), an adult Bolivian Ram, 5 Black Phantom Tetras, and 3 Zodiac Loaches.

I would like to add one more non/semi-aggressive dwarf cichlid to the tank. I looked into Keyholes, but I understand that they do not like to be kept in singles and can be nasty to other tank mates in pairs.

Any suggestions?

#2 ·
I would not get any more cichlids - the tank just isn't big enough...

#4 ·
What are the dimensions again?

#6 ·
Oh, in the other thread I thought you said the tank was 24 inches long. Having looked at the pics, it looks like a cube, not a column.

That's a decent footprint.

In regards to the festivums, have you tried rearranging the tank? With cichlids, and other territorial fish, it can help to move things around in the tank. As it stands, the new cichlid is encroaching on the old ones territory. By moving stuff around, you break those old boundary lines and make the fish all carve out new ones, giving the new one a chance to establish itself. If you want to take it one step further you could remove them and add them back once the tank is redone.

#7 ·
This tank is called a column, though I don't know why. I agree that it is misleading.

I haven't tried reorganizing anything... maybe I'll give that a try. I do have a little 16G I could put Jerry in while I reorganize- I did want to add more rocks/caves, anyway. Only problem is that I don't have anywhere to put the other fish that are getting along (loaches, ram, & tetras) while I work. I suppose I could work on one side at a time.

How dramatic of a change do you think I should make? Jerry has his favorite piece of driftwood, so that will definitely be rearranged.

#8 ·
I would just remove the cichlids - shouldn't take very long to do so big zip lock bags would work fine. I would completely redo the decor in the tank.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.