Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone,

Question, I started a tank about 3 weeks ago, 62 gallon corner. I measured and did the calculations. I tried to jump start it with live bacteria and about 5 fish. I know it was too much to begin with but I thought overdosing with API quick start and some prime could jump start the tank. On Christmas Eve, I came home early. The water was a little foggy but clearing up. As a surprise my children, seeing the water was clear bought me fish for Christmas. All Cichlids. Now I have 15 fish in the tank. So to salvage the damage rather then returning them I bought a fluval 407 and I am running it with the FX6. I have air on both walls in the back and a powerhead pushing all the current forward to the front of the tank. Many bubbles. I thought I was done, but the tank cleared. Crystal Clear. I can see the back wall. Problem is Ammonia is 8.0 PPM. I know the prime is doing its Job as the fish are beautiful colorful and eating 2 times a day like animals. Nitrites are at .50 PPM, Nitrates are at 40 PPM, PH is at 7.4 to 7.6 a little low for Cichlids but hey right now adding anything else but Prime and Quick Start seems enough. I can work on PH Later. Question, will the ammonia ever go down considering the amount of Fish in the tank?? I have been told dont make a water change. It will cycle I need help here. As I said the water is crystal clear but will the ammonia ever go down or am I doomed for death?? Fish are healthy. Please advise.... I used to do this 20 years ago, Its a long time and most of what I knew was basic.

·
Registered
225 Posts
SO sorry I couldn't get back sooner! Immediately do a water change! Half the water and add 2-3 times the amount the bacteria bottle shows you need. Its pretty much the only way to save the fish! Your ammonia is to high!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Friends..!!

Please Change a water Immediately. Half the Water & 3-4 times use the bacteria bottle shows you need. Because, Its Beautiful the way to save the fish. I love Colorful Fishes....

·
Registered
225 Posts
Exactly! Also, you should probably think of the beneficial bacteria as just a booster. Make sure you don't clean the filter so some bacteria is still left!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts