Tropical Fish Keeping banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there everyone! I was just wondering if keeping 1 betta fish, 7 neon tetras and 1 dwarf bristle nose pleco is ok in a 5 gallon tank, because I was suddenly gifted some fish from some friends after I started setting up a 5 gallon tank that was only meant for my betta but now I have these other 8 fish and I'm not allowed to have a bigger tank

·
Registered
351 Posts
Hi there everyone! I was just wondering if keeping 1 betta fish, 7 neon tetras and 1 dwarf bristle nose pleco is ok in a 5 gallon tank, because I was suddenly gifted some fish from some friends after I started setting up a 5 gallon tank that was only meant for my betta but now I have these other 8 fish and I'm not allowed to have a bigger tank
Has your 5 gallon been through the nitrogen cycle? and is the filter fully "established" meaning does it have a strong beneficial bacteria colony growing?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I would say no. For one betas are solitary animals and neon tetras are fun biters so in any tank I wouldn’t say that we get along well. Although I have had a betta in a 5 gallon and he lived happily for seven years he was alone for most of the time and towards the end I added some neons and they completely destroyed his fins.however this depends on your bettas personality with the neons. If you really want to do that I would say get a female later but even then it’s risky for the health of all of the fish I don’t recommend it seems overstocked

·
Registered
351 Posts
@Dartmouthseven yes my tank has been fully established but I've heard that bristkenose plecos need a larger tank, than just a 5 gallon
Okay, I was just wondering. Seems like you got this under control. If you come to the conclusion that they wont work out together you could always donate them to your local fish store. They might even give you store credit for them which in turn you can buy something else to your liking.
🙏 👍

1 - 5 of 5 Posts