Tropical Fish Keeping banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! I was wondering if Tahitian Black Moon Sand or Small, Round Pea Gravel would be better for my tank?

I am currently cycling a 37 gallon Eclipse tank. I would like to have 5-6 cory cats & possibly a bristlenose pleco. Currently, I have black gravel (not rounded pea gravel, just your standard colored gravel that you purchase at a fish store). I undertsand that this can be a bit sharp for the cory cats. So, I would like to go ahead and make a switch to small, rounded pea gravel or tahitian black moon sand. Which would you recommend?

Additionally, would I be able to "vaccum" sand like I am able to vaccum gravel? Many thanks for your advice! :)

·
Banned
2,510 Posts
If you using a ugf, small round gravel is the only way to go. You will restrict water flow with sand. Gravel size should be around 3/16" or 5cm. Sand will also eat up a power filters with extremely high water flow unless a prefilter is used. If you gravel is too small, or you use sand, compaction is a big problem if you don't stir the bottom regularly.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.