Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I am getting a new tank and am considering getting high output lights. I have looked at T5 light fixtures, and most or all of them are open on top and just sit on the tank with a wire holder or something. So, my question is, with an open top like that, don't fish jump out? How do you prevent that from happening?

·
Registered
528 Posts
Hi everyone,

I am getting a new tank and am considering getting high output lights. I have looked at T5 light fixtures, and most or all of them are open on top and just sit on the tank with a wire holder or something. So, my question is, with an open top like that, don't fish jump out? How do you prevent that from happening?
i have an open top planted aquarium im not using t5's but i dont have jumper fish like hatches an such. no fish lose yet and ive had it this way for about 3 months now.

·
Registered
528 Posts
that has a glass top lid. which is nice. should work nicely for you. is it going to be a planted tank? im diggin on petsmarts sale too lol im actually going to pick up a filter from them in a little while haha.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Jumping depends on the fish (and circumstances). I have angels in a 55 without a top and recently lost one. I think it was chased and jumped to "escape". A cover of floaters will reduce jumping for sure. A top certainly solves the issue!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
that has a glass top lid. which is nice. should work nicely for you. is it going to be a planted tank? im diggin on petsmarts sale too lol im actually going to pick up a filter from them in a little while haha.

Wow, I did NOT see the lid. Thanks for pointing it out!

Yes, I will have plants. My current tank has plants, but I couldn't grow medium or high light plants because the light is not strong enough. So, I am wanting to try to grow higher light plants.

It looks like a cool tank. It just seems tall, so I am not sure if I should get this or a regular light but longer one. I want the fish to have plenty of room to swim.

·
Registered
528 Posts
haha i know what you mean with the room. i have a 55 an i feel like its tall enough just not wide enough for my fish but i think thats the problem with this hobby. when is a tank "big enough" you prob would be alright growing high light plants but i hear high light needs co2. im not down with that jazz but if you are thats awesome. :)

·
Registered
510 Posts
yes, but they won't produce more light, the difference in output is due to wattage used and it is the ballast (in the fixture) that determines the amount of wattage that is delivered to the bulb

·
Registered
510 Posts
That's such a bummer! Could I grow medium light plants with those lights? Should I get one with LED lights instead?
you should be able to grow anything but the real high light requiring plants

swords, crypts, anubias, java fern, some stems like moneywort and pennywort, etc. should be no problem

I have that kit, I don't use the filter, but it's probably fine and I did change out the colormax bulb for one that produces a more natural light

1 - 14 of 14 Posts