Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I have been looking around at many sights trying to find what all would be involved in switching from an HOB Aqueon Filter to a Cylinder/Canister Filter. I have a 10 Gallon tank and the filter I currently have is the one that came with the tank. I know about the nitrite cycle and that just simply switching out the filters has a high possibility of killing my fish. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
On a side note the filter I'm considering on getting is the Tom Rapids Mini Canister Filter.
Thanks! :)

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Great filter choice! Simply take your sponge out of the plastic holders, cut the floss of your cartridge and pour the carbon into a stocking an place that all in the new filter with the new media. You could also run the two filters simultaneously for three weeks but I would just transfer the media.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! That seems simple enough, although I keep hearing about the filter sponge but I don't know where that is on the filter. Is is normally above the impeller? I only started hearing about the sponge when I began looking into switching filters.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
The sponge is typically right in front of the output between the output and the cartridge. It's not actually a sponge but plastic intertwined to form a block.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is what the inside of my filter looks like.

It should be attached, it doesn't seem to have a sponge at all.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes it is removable, I didn't realize that a sponge was the norm. Obviously you can see why I'm looking into a new filter haha.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Interesting. I would run the two side-by-side for three weeks but with the cartridge and carbon in the other filter as I previously described. I haven't ever seen an HOB without a sponge. :lol:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Okay thanks, glad to know that it's supposed to have one. :p Where would I put the cartridge in the other filter, as in the cartridge fiber material. I know where the carbon would go.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Interesting. I would run the two side-by-side for three weeks but with the cartridge and carbon in the other filter as I previously described. I haven't ever seen an HOB without a sponge. :lol:
And I've never seen a HOB WITH a sponge! I thought it was a trait of the HOB to have floss, not sponge media.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Aqueon uses a proprietary cartridge, much like many other hob filters. That blue grid media holder is supposed to provide a place for nitrifying bacteria to grow, as if they know that, and allows you to change the mechanical filtration out without affecting the bio filtration, in theory. This is similar to the frames on Whisper filters. IMO both of those filters suck. AquaClear hob's have the sponge & such as stock media, though you can fill them with pretty much anything.

I'd toss the Aqueon media in the canister, toss the blue frame in the tank where there's some water flow for about a week. Fast the fish for a day before the switch, feed lightly for the next week to avoid any cycling issues.

Reactions: pop
1 - 16 of 16 Posts