Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a sun coral a couple of weeks ago hasnt done real good. But now it has some darks spots like gravel . Any idea what that is ???? I got a good picture of it but cant get it to attach.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
All others corals are great infact i am friends with someone that has had a reef tanks for years and she was here last nite and said my tank looked better than hers but she wasnt sure about the sun coral. I moved it a couple times and read up more on them . Put it where it would get more flow. Wish the pic would load

·
Registered
300 Posts
Not trying to sound rude bohmert but Reefing is just telling it like it is. Gotta get that ammonia to 0. Also, I was told that the easiest ways to really piss off your corals is to be constantly fiddling with them. SOmetimes you just gotta let them be for awhile. I've got the most tempremental green star polyp on the face of the earth. It will be out for 3 days and not come out for the next 3-4 days.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am not mad at him in no way i respect his advice I was just giving more information . Please dont turn my comments around!!!!! Reef just giving more info. As far as I go NEVER take my feedback negative. Sully you too. Please. I know alot of peopledo but that is not my way!!!!!!!

·
Banned
4,058 Posts
Your good with the move, they are non photosynthetic corals, so most try to put them under shade to see them more often. Give him a week or so to see what happens there. As Sully stated, once you've moved em, don't do it again for a bit, they tend to get a lil upset about it.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Sorry, my post wasn't meant to come across like that at all. The typed word sometimes never comes across the keyboard the way it's meant to. :BIGhappy:

I am not mad at him in no way i respect his advice I was just giving more information . Please dont turn my comments around!!!!! Reef just giving more info. As far as I go NEVER take my feedback negative. Sully you too. Please. I know alot of peopledo but that is not my way!!!!!!!

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
These Sun Corals don't tend to do well in common home aquaria. They need to be fed some type of phytoplankton or oyster eggs or something like that. Daily feedings are probably best and if you do it at a certain time, they may even start to expand before you feed them (give that a couple of months at least...). They prefer moderately strong currents (in nature a current that will bring them food), so the closer to the powerhead the better. Most of the time you won't see the polyps expanded, just around feeding time. I have tried this species of coral a couple times and have never had long success with it.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It is doing much better where i had put it the other day it is on the side by the powerhead . Too bad for us newbies falling for the pretty stuff and then finding out you werent told the negative stuff. Which actually i do make a habit to ask..... and have found. Most are more worried about the sale

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have 2 sun corals 1 is doing great other hasn't open in over 6 months but I know its not dead since the skeleton is still bright orange tried everything I'm at my last wits with it

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Mine is looking ok but not like it was in the store. Talked to the store they said to but bottle over it to feed it, feed when light off . I moved my so it got movement from the powerhead and under a hangover flat rock and it has helped alot. I wony buy another one

1 - 15 of 15 Posts