Tropical Fish Keeping banner

21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
The fish are in!!! I caught about 10 mosquitofish from my pond and put them in the tub today! No jumpers thus far and everyone seems to be adjusting well. They even tore apart a fly that landed in the water. And now for the pictures:

You have no clue how difficult it is to photograph brown fish on a grey background without direct sunlight.

There is just a little bit of water on top of the iris pot, and some of the fish wanted to explore it.

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
The Tub has come to LIFE! I love it, looks like so much fun! Three cheers for happy little fish! :)

And the photos are great, as always, lol. . . you rock that cam, girly!

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Yay tubflowers! *luffs* When do the lillies go in?
.. I honestly don't know. Probably whenever I get over to a garden center. I've seen them around town before, but I can't remember where. The plants are already loving the fish. I can see new leaves on a lot of them! But I have a feeling I will need to fertilize the lilies a bit.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Wooo!! Pictures!!! So a week or so ago I added a lily from Lowes Garden Center to the tub. I honestly wasn't too sure how it would fare, but it's doing pretty good! None of the leaves are floating yet, but they are sprouted and making their way to the surface!! I really hope they flower. I don't even get enough light in the pond for them to sprout.

The frogbit has really taken over. This is after I removed a couple of handfuls to make sure the lily has enough light.

The iris and grass are also doing great. No clue what the grasses are called. Rushes? I dunno...

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
All of my lilies from The Home Depot have flowered and eventually I had to rehome the vast majority every year. They simply overran my 400 gallon pond. The hardy lilies are truly tough and you shouldn't have any problem...other than keeping them under control. Your tub looks great.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Oh I love it!!!
Hows the fishys doing?
They're doing great! I saw a few when I was outside taking pictures today. I should throw some koi food in there and see if they attack in like old times. :lol:

All of my lilies from The Home Depot have flowered and eventually I had to rehome the vast majority every year. They simply overran my 400 gallon pond. The hardy lilies are truly tough and you shouldn't have any problem...other than keeping them under control. Your tub looks great.
Oh wow. If they overtook your 400 gal pond, then my little tub doesn't stand a chance. But that's very good to hear they did well!! I'm so excited for lily flowers!! ^-^

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Oh wow. Been a while since I updated this, too. Things have been going great with it. No flowers from the lotus, but I expected that. Next year I'm going to try the tub in a different position.

As a reward for being so patient with me, here are some updated pictures!

Remember how we were wondering if dwarf water lettuce would revert to the larger form if left alone? Well. It did.

This cute little mothbutt was hanging around. I have also seen butterflies, hummingbirds, bees, and a host of other things come drink from the tub.

21 - 40 of 48 Posts