Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Could we possibly have an RAOK/WTB section? I know there's a classifed, but when I trim my plants I hate throwing them out and would rather give away for postage or local pick up.

Thanks,

Linda

·
Administrator
5,465 Posts
Hi,

Could we possibly have an RAOK/WTB section? I know there's a classifed, but when I trim my plants I hate throwing them out and would rather give away for postage or local pick up.

Thanks,

Linda

Hi Linda!
Forgive my ignorance... RAOK/WTB ?? I think the 2nd half is "where to buy?" but that is just a guess. lol :oops:

·
Premium Member
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
LOL. It too me a while, too. And I have to make a conscious effort to type RAOK instead of ROAK!

Random Acts of Kindness and Wanted to Buy.

On some forums, the giver awayer will make a game of it: "The person who guesses the last four digits of my phone number will get the item." Usually they give a hint like: Doesn't contain a 1 or a 2. And sometimes they have people put their names next to a number. Then at a set day and time, the person will randomly select however many number as there are packages to get the "winners."

·
Administrator
5,465 Posts
hahaha I should have picked that up. RAOK... of course... but my post was PRE coffee this morning.

There was some talk about setting up a section in the classified about "areas" so people can trade/share. So a USA section, Canada and All others... then members can start a thread by State or Province name and can ship items they have traded etc. (or meet up if they want to give away/sell tanks) I had a 45 tall (in my Aquarium log) that I met up with a member and gave it to him free... he was willing to reseal it and I had no knowledge or time to do it myself. I upgraded to my 75, that was my opportunity to "upsize" and get the bigger tank past hubby!! lol I now have 2 x 75 by the way. lol.

Your idea sounds more game/fun like?

·
Administrator
9,804 Posts
It sounds to me like the trade/barter items can be put in the Classifieds with an appropriate thread title.

The "prize" type thread that you're suggesting could just be in the contest area - again with appropriate thread title.

As for the RAOK, this could probably use it's own area or maybe we could piggy back it onto the Classifieds area? We can certainly discuss it. Not trying to toot my own horn but I've given away some things to people on the forum who couldn't afford soemthing at the time or "just because". I wouldn't know where to find those threads now :dunno:

Thanks for your thoughts RTST.

·
Premium Member
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My husband is taking two five-gallon tanks I'm giving to another member when he goes to Raleigh in July.

I thought if it were separate from sales/classified, it would be easier to find. I don't look at the classifieds because there's nothing I want. But I would look at RAOK/WTB to see if I had something someone else wanted. My reasoning is if it were separate members like me would read it.

Just some thoughts. Thanks for listening.

Linda

·
Administrator
5,465 Posts
I may be wrong but RAOK to me is FREE and classified is someone selling something. NO?

·
Premium Member
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
With RAOK, the item is free but the recipient pays the shipping. Seller doesn't make any money. If anyone belongs to The Planted Tank, it has an RAOK/WTB section that is members-only.

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
THREE CHEERS to you, Russell!!! RAOK are such a wonderful thing! It makes me super happy to see people willing to give, not sell, their extras - I have gotten so much help from lovely people like you (and in turn have been able to help a few others) here on TFK ^.^

This is definitely a good suggestion, something I've been thinking about a lot. . . there IS a lot of tanksharing going on at TFK, but it's mostly done via PM and (from what I've seen) among the group of people who keep and follow journal/tank log threads. I also do see RAOK threads come up from time to time in the classified section, so you can post them there. They will be found. . . but, people who don't have money to buy might not be as likely to be looking in that area of the forum to begin with. Hrm.

I know TPT has an area for this, but they are a plant forum - all of the members have planted tanks, and many of them are high light and Co2 injected tanks - FAST growing. . .

Do you think that we have enough plantheads here on TFK to keep a section devoted to RAOK going? Granted, it wouldn't be ALL plants, but that would likely be the bulk of it. I worry that what we'd end up with is a lot of threads posted by people ASKING for donations, and not so much the other way around? Thoughts?

LOVE the idea of starting up contest threads with 'extras' given as prizes, but this will get tricky, as we aren't all in the US. So a lot of people wouldn't be able to 'play,' depending, of course, on where the giver came from. Do you think this would be upsetting to anyone?

Thanks for the suggestion, and thanks for being so willing to share! So encouraging to know that there are still so many people like you in this world!

·
Premium Member
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you, Chesherca, for such nice words. I imagine there are people on the forum who don't want to be troubled with selling but would donate. TPT people donate shrimp. too. I would when mine start reproducing. It might generate stuff for Betta Rescue, too.

I think about the kids whose parents get them Bettas but not the right equipment. Maybe the parents would go for an RAOK (why do I keep wanting to type "ROAK"???) that only costs them shipping....well, one can live in hope. :)

Linda

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
I love your idea too Linda sounds great and I would love for us to have something like that on the forum. We would have to be careful with the younger members and be sure they have permission from their parents before giving anyone their shipping address. One of our members said on a thread today he started in the Lounge area that his parents were making him leave the forum because they do not want him talking to adults, that really concerns me with some of our members being such a young age we need to be very careful about anything that involves them. And that is sad because sometimes they are the ones that need our most help and could use some free supplies and items for their fish.

Thanks for sharing your great idea Linda :)

·
Premium Member
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What a shame. But, I can understand a parent's concern. I'll put my thinking cap on and see if I can come up with a way to keep it safe for kids. I do know that PayPal furnishes the address of buyer and seller so there shouldn't be a need to ask for it. I'll ask my friend on TPT how he handles his RAOKs if he suspects it's a kid.

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
Usually the kid will be using his/her parent's accout to trade....
My only concern about a wtb/roak subsection is the lack of activity already in the classfied forum....
Tpt's sell/trade and wtb/roak sections have enough traffic for it to be two separate areas. I think a while ago it used to be the same swap n shop section.

·
Administrator
5,465 Posts
Is it possible we have no traffic cause we have no place for it? Build it and they will come?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts