Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm new to the site and have a couple questions about how to lay out the substrate in a planted tank and which substrate to use. I am planning on using fluorite, and I want to know if I can use it as a bottom layer and top in with a more atractive gravel. Also, is fluorite the best choice of substrate?

·
Registered
372 Posts
I use only flourite. There are many ways to use it. You can mix it with larger rocks and it will fill in the "holes". You can use it underneath. I would say that you might want to have a good base of 2-3 inches of fluorite. It comes in a few different colors. Why do you want to cover it? Just curious.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I mainly want to cover it because I want to use a gravel that looks nicer than fluorite, but if it's not recommendable to use both I'll just use the black fluorite.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I wanted black fluorite in my tank. I ended up with the brown because I ordered it on Amazon and ordered "dark" not realizing. I like the way the dark looks and I wish I had the black. I think fluorite looks great by itself. Are you planning a heavily planted tank? Because you depending on what you plant it with you may not even see it anyway.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts