Tropical Fish Keeping banner

Substrate Change Question

5K views 28 replies 7 participants last post by  FishyFishy89 
#1 ·
In a few weeks I plan on buying some Flora Max or Flourite and adding it to my Aquarium. I have plants in the my ten gallon now, but I am going to take some of the gravel out and add one of those two substrates and add a lot more plants. My questions is, can I add the substrate with the fish in or will it kill them when it clouds the water? I can net them all and do it, but I want to know what would be less stressful, and have a better chance of not losing fish. I have eight neon tetras, two julii cory catfish, one hillstream loach, and one mini mexican lobster. Any help will be appreciated.

Discussion starter · #4 ·
I'm going to be adding more plants, and to be honest I want the tank to look more natural. I am going to make a slope coming down from the back of the tank to the front, and put a piece of wood and a rock in. They are going to be jutting out of the slope. There is going to be a good amount of more plants and I'm going to put java moss all over. I want something that the plants can root into better. I may even use soil instead of substrate.

Discussion starter · #8 ·
After watching that video, I just might use sand. That's a lot of great ideas guys, and I have a pretty good idea of what I'm going to do now. I don't want too crazy of a slope, but want to give the tank a little dimension. I think I may be able to work with sand. Maybe a few rocks in the back, and cover them with sand will help with the slope. I appreciate all the help guys.

Discussion starter · #11 ·
If I put the sand on top of the gravel I have in there, would it be better? I would think it would keep all the bacteria in, and make it easier on the fish. I don't have a lot of gravel as it is, so it wouldn't be overkill on substrate. Beaslbob, I thought sand was inert? I just read that peat moss can cause really bad ammonia problems too. I'm not saying you are wrong, but just asking because I just read a different opinion. Thanks for the feedback.

Discussion starter · #14 ·
Ok I just wanted to make sure. I appreciate all the help guys. Ill be sure to post pics once I get my tank all redone. I'm going to put a lot of thought into it. I'm probably going to remove about 75% of the gravel and put sand in. The gravel I have is a very natural looking mix of small rocks so I think it will go well with the sand. That way I be able to keep a lot of the bacteria in. Thank you for all the feedback.

Luke

Discussion starter · #16 ·
OK, Ok you guys convinced me, I'll just go with all sand lol. Now as for what type of sand, I am undecided. I hear play sand works well, and is inert, but I also hear that it can compact roots. Obviously you have been successful with play sand, so the question is, what do you do to ventilate the sand? I heard that Malaysian Trumpet Snails are great at it. I'm planning on get some of those, along with some Assassin Snails. Also, I heard that pool sand works great too. I like the color better than the color of play sand. Again, I hear it compacts the roots like play sand. Thanks for all the info in advance.

Luke

Discussion starter · #18 ·
Yea I have a guy I'm going order a bunch of plants from and he said he will give me them for free. If you know where I can get some free Assassin Snails from, I'll gladly follow up on it lol. Thanks
Posted via Mobile Device

Discussion starter · #20 ·
I guess they breed slower than rams, but can still get out of control if not kept in check. I would much rather get Assassins rather than havin to crush baby snails or bait them with lettuce and throw them in the trash. At least with Assassins its a little more natural.
Posted via Mobile Device

Discussion starter · #22 ·
O I know they eat other snails, thats why I want them. I plan on putting a good amount of MTS in, and having the Assassins in to keep them from taking over the tank. Assassins will also eat blood worms and other meaty foods, so they wont just prey on the MTS.
Posted via Mobile Device

Discussion starter · #27 ·
Compacting sand should not be a problem. First, you don't want the substrate too deep; with sand in the larger tanks an overall depth of 2-3 inches when the sand is in the tank fairly level across the entire surface is sufficient. I have just under 2 inches in my 70g, and 3 inches in my 115g. Second, plant roots release oxygen, lots of it; this keeps the area around the individual plants well oxygenated, and bacteria live there that use the oxygen. Third, burrowing snails (Malaysian Livebearing) contribute to this.

I like play sand because it is inexpensive and natural in appearance; it is identical to the sand in many Amazon streams for example, and you can't get much more natural than that. The mix of colours (black/gray/tan/white) also makes detritus on the substrate less noticeable. That was another issue with my black Flourite, every speck of stuff stood out; but I never see this with mixed substrates.

Pool filter sand is used by many, but you have to avoid the white, and then make sure it is inert and not too rough. I've never bothered with it, but I have read that it can be rather sharp. As can some other types like paver sand, etc. Play Sand is meant for kids to play in.

On the matter of snails reproducing, of course they will. They are there to help you, by getting into places you can't and eating all organic matter, breaking it down so the bacteria can more easily and readily handle it. Keeping them under control is a good idea, sometimes. Depends upon the tank.

Byron.
Play sand sounds like the way to go. It's cheap too. I'll put in some MTS to help out too. Maybe I'll let them take off a bit, and if need be I'll get some Assassins. Thanks for the help. I'll post pics when I get it all changed over.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.