Tropical Fish Keeping banner

Stupid Filter

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Derek-M 
#1 ·
One of the filters I have in my aquarium stopped working, just want to see if there is anything I can do to get it up and going again. :?

I turned off power to put in a new air-wall (which looks awesome), and when I turned power back on it wouldn't work....I didn't think to pour in a glass of tank water in the filter because I didn't do a water change / take any water out. Is it fried? :? :?

It's doubly painful because my light burnt out on the left side too...so I have all my new plants and decor in there, and I can't enjoy it fully! :x

#5 ·
Clean out the impeller as suggested, but if it's like my Marineland Emperor HOB filters, they shut-off for a short period when run dry. I found that out accidently 2 times before by whole aquarium hobby lifetime I had them. I guess it's an overheat failure they put in that whey you run them dry, they shut off so they don't overheat. Give it 5 minutes or so to allow it to cool down and run it again, but make sure it's primed.

#7 ·
Marineland's Penguin Filters don't do anything special for emergency shut off. If the motor is cutting out until it cools, this means that you're stressing the motor and likely doing damage. When they run too hot they "burn out". One way to find out if your motor is still working is to hold the motor part in your hand when you plug it in, feel for vibration and listen for any hum it would normally make.
As suggest by many, clean impellars, make sure magnets and shafts are in good condition. Those will usually need to be replaced at some point over a long period of use, and to make them last longer they should be cleaned at least once every few months.
HOB filters also need to be filled with water before plugging them in. Make sure the intake tube is submerged enough, your water topped off at top of tank, and give it a chance to work any air bubbles out. You may find that pouring more water into the top slowly will help to work the air bubbles out faster.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.