Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
How do I know if my fish is stressed out? Besides the obvious weird behavior...are there certain physical manifestations that are an indicator?
It can vary depending on the species. The most common indicator is loss of appitite. The next common is hiding constantly hiding in a corner all the time or always hiding if the lighting is too bright. In some species, aggressive behavior can be a sign, but that depends on what would be the species are naturally aggressive. I always suggest that you get a specific shirt, smock, or hat that you always wear when you approach the tank so they will recognize you as master. I wear glasses and my fish come to the front of the tank when they see me. If I approach the tank without my glasses, they go to the back of the tank. FYI...fish can see color.

Sent from my LGMS210 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
Another clear indicator of stress is a change in color. Some fish will wash out while others will get very dark. In some species, especially with cichlids, you’ll see dark stripes show up called stress lines.

I don’t think fish view us as their master, but rather a feeding device. They certainly aren’t bending their will to ours....

Don’t get zucked! Stand up to censorship! Someone else’s voice silenced today, yours tomorrow.....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts