Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently own a 29 gallon (approx.) aquarium, and am looking to soon upgrade to a 60-75 gallon. I've done some research on cichlids and rainbows and am thinking I kind of want to go in that direction. However, I'll most likely be moving some, if not all, fish from my existing aquarium into the larger one, but am more than willing to put in a tank divider for certain species. I'd ideally like to carry over my dwarf gourami, Julie corey catfish, platy, and neon tetras to the new tank (I have one guppy but I'm pretty sure I'm going to get rid of it, seeing as so many species of fish cannot coexist with them). Although honestly, I'm willing to get rid of any of them except the dwarf gourami and catfish if need be.

Anyway, dwarf cichlids or rainbows are definitely points of interest for me, but I'm also possibly looking to explore some other types of fish (also might be interested in semi-aggressive aquarium). Since I like variety, I'd prefer not just one pure species, but have a few different sizes, colours, and swimming patterns.

Any recommendations on good, interesting fish I could stock this aquarium with? I'm looking for fish that aren't too pricey (below $20 each is ideal) and that can get along with other types of fish and probably won't die on me a week after I bring them home. I also probably won't go with fish anymore than 6".

Also a quick little inquiry for pygmy gouramis: where can I find them, and do they fit my price range and tank? I have a sudden interest in the little guys.

Thanks! Any suggestions would be much appreciated. :-D

·
Registered
47 Posts
Dojo Loaches, or kuhli loaches are awesome fish. The kuhli loaches grow to 4 inches, and I have kept them before (black kuhli loaches). A lot of personality, and they like to be kept in groups.

Dojo loaches (weather loaches) are similar, larger, but very similar. I have never kept them before, but worth looking into.

I have seen both at my local Petco before, so they shouldn't be impossible to find.

Good luck with the tank, I'm setting up a 55g of my own right now.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
+1 on the kuhli's. great fish when kept in large schools around 8, if less they mostly hide. :)
Plus they great and getting into the nooks and crannies, which I believe help reduce anaerobic bacteria.

The dojo I would disagree on, from what I can gather - they not for sale in aus - they are a coldwater fish and probably wouldn't do well in your tank.

Also, it's not wise to mix gourami's. Most likely the sparkling/pygmy ones will end up with the shorter stick, which I imagine the dwarf one with a nice belly or just terrorising the little things. I would recommend one or the other, but not in the same tank. If your keeping the 29g, I recommend keeping the pygmies in there with other pygmy fish (like the pygmy cory, rasbora's and oto's... ember tetras even.)

Some fish I would recommend are:
- ember tetras
- rummynose tetras
- bristlenose catfish
- oto's
- apistogrammas
- rasboras (such as the pmgmy rasbora or other smallish rasboras... harlequin?)

More of:
- the cories (Julie's)

I'd recommend bumping up the julie school to around 4 - 8 before deciding on what you want next. :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts