Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 26 gallon and looking for stocking ideas and advice before I commit. ( All cycled and ready)
Atm I'm considering ( pretty set on)
5 kuhli loach
6-8 ember tetras
1x Bolivian butterfly

Does this sound ok ? Anything I should add/change take away, my previous tank was a 4.5 ft long tank so I didn't really have to worry too much about stocking and aggression as there was plenty of room for an array of small peaceful- to semi agressive community fish.

I sort of want to add some lemon tetras and maybe a few top level ( like guppies or platys)
But I'm worried that will over stock and/or over crowd the mid level.

Aside from that any advice on the Bolivian? I don't have experience with them but really wanted a community alternative to a DG

Tia

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I have a 26 gallon and looking for stocking ideas and advice before I commit. ( All cycled and ready)
Atm I'm considering ( pretty set on)
5 kuhli loach
6-8 ember tetras
1x Bolivian butterfly

Does this sound ok ? Anything I should add/change take away, my previous tank was a 4.5 ft long tank so I didn't really have to worry too much about stocking and aggression as there was plenty of room for an array of small peaceful- to semi agressive community fish.

I sort of want to add some lemon tetras and maybe a few top level ( like guppies or platys)
But I'm worried that will over stock and/or over crowd the mid level.

Aside from that any advice on the Bolivian? I don't have experience with them but really wanted a community alternative to a DG

Tia
Just wanted to add it is lightly planted 2 wisteria and 2 hair grass - the hair grass is in pots and will remain so or maybe eventually planted and kept in specific areas as I want to keep sand space available for the kuhlis to burrow.

·
Registered
Tropical Fish
16 Posts
Hello! Bolivian rams need to be in at least pairs and you probably don't have enough space for that. I recommend getting 1 German blue ram instead of 1 Bolivian butterfly. They look similar and are nearly the same size.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hello! Bolivian rams need to be in at least pairs and you probably don't have enough space for that. I recommend getting 1 German blue ram instead of 1 Bolivian butterfly. They look similar and are nearly the same size.
Oh ok, I did research by reading different forums and stuff and they all said Bolivians do just fine on their own.

·
Registered
Tropical Fish
16 Posts
Yes, it is pretty highly debated. Its you decision but in my opinion German Blue Rams look very similar to Bolivian Butterflies and they can be alone. You could have a Bolivian Butterfly by itself but it's very likely it would get stressed out and stop eating to the point of death.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts