Tropical Fish Keeping banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

First post here. Been keeping fish my whole life, but Ive never done a planted schooling fish aquarium.

Ive got a 20 Gal high that has several plants, 12 harlequin rasboras, and a 2" rainbow shark (who WILL graduate into my 55g when he is ready). I was wondering if I could add another small school of fish (~6) AND/or a dwarf gourami (I want a mid-top swimmer that will cause my fish to school more often).

Open to suggestions. I got the Harlequins because I've read that aside from the rummy nose tetras, they school very tightly. I thought the rainbow shark would cause them to school, but as a bottom feeder he does not.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
I definitely think moving the shark is a good idea.

How long has the tank been set up? if it's been up for at least 4 months, fully cycled, etc, i'd try a group of otos or dwarf cories, small/dwarf loaches. then you'd have more bottom feeders. as for adding a dwarf gourami, i think that could work, or possibly a betta. i'd wait on that until the shark is out though.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The tank is fully cycled, been set up since february. I like the idea of more bottom feeders when the shark is out, any ideas for a mid to top level swimmer that could just swim around and cause the Harlequins to shoal?

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
I'm not totally sure, but something like a betta or gourami might encourage that. but the rasboras might just be fish that are just as comfortable swimming all over your tank.
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 4 of 4 Posts