Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would just like some insight as ive read and heard many different and opposite answers on this.

Would 3 cory cats ( either bronze or peppered) and a dwarf gourami be fine in a 10 gallon tank?

I'm using an Aqueon Quiet Flow 20 filter which says its suitable for 20-30 gallon tanks.

My plan is a heavily (fake but natural looking) planted tank with caves and pool filter sand for the substrate as well with a natural looking background on the back of the tank.

If anyone can provide some info or personal experience that would be great!

·
Registered
53 Posts
I don't see why it wouldn't work? i may up your cory cat's to 5 or so. They are social and like a crew to run around with. Dwarf Gourami's can be kind of sensitive to water conditions. I've never been successful keeping them. May be something with my local water? I don't know. But they are upper water fish...cory cats will run around on the bottom. Some may say the cats "need more swimming space"? Or something like that? But that's the only down side I could see as far as fish compatibility? Just my opinion though. Don't over feed, keep up with weekly water changes...don't mess with your bio-media for best chances of success.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
For some reason in the past ive had great luck with the dwarf gouramis! But yeah ive heard the cory cats need a larger footprint to swim around and was thinking maybe they'd be fine in a school of 3 but i wouldnt hesitate to add more if it was possible, regardless I think i'd be fine with the bio-load which is good but it just comes down to the compatibility in a 10 gallon

·
Registered
53 Posts
a female dwarf gourmami would be best when you do it. And I'd probably do 5 corys. May promote more activity with them. Give them more friends...etc etc. Best of luck.

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
I totally agree. I don't even understand why anyone would offer up a different opinion. Seriously, there isn't much to go wrong with the fish selection here, other than the fact that Dwarf Gourami's can be difficult to keep. But a 10 gallon planted tank is ideal for the best chance of success.

You might consider a Honey Dwarf, as they are easier to find healthy. You could easily do a pair, as the males and females are simple to tell apart. When you buy your Gourami, be sure to ask how long they have been in the fish store. Don't buy a a Dwarf Gourami that hasn't been there at least a week and be sure to ask to see them eat. Look carefully at their stomach to make sure it doesn't look "pinched". You want to buy individuals who are actively swimming, not hiding in the corner of the tank. Make sure the eyes are clear, the mouths/lips are "normal", and the body is a solid intense color (not hazy or patchy).

Hope that helps. Picking out a healthy Dwarf Gourami will be by far your biggest challenge in this tank.

·
Registered
215 Posts
If you can find them, I find Paradise Gouramis have a better personality so to speak than Dwarf Gouramis. A single Paradise Gourami would make a better centerpiece IMO.

Reactions: Pasfur
1 - 6 of 6 Posts