Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm new to the forum and this is my first tank that I will be setting so I want it to look and function well. I was thinking on getting rainbows but I'm not sure how many can stock a 60 gallon. I plan on using driftwood with some moss wrapped around the branches. Also, what kind of substrate should I use (not planning to plant the tank as of yet). Lastly, what other kinds of fish or crustaceans should I stock the tank with for example shrimp or snails or maybe corydoras. Thanks for the help in advance!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
I would recommend going down to your local fish shop abd making a list of what caught your eye and posting it back here. From there, we could help you get a nice well planned/interested tank.
IMO, i prefer to house most rainbow species in a 125g, since they are active fish and appreciate a lot of room. However, the dwarf rainbows could work well, but many tend to steer away from them as they not as eye catching for many - i personally disagree, but thats me...
Since your not looking to plant the tank, I would go for a nice inert substrate, like gravel or sand. I like sand, but each to their own - i would suggest reading up on the debate regarding sand vs gravel and make your decision of what will suit you. Whatever you choose, i would stay away from the planted substrates - your paying more for what you don't need or will help.

Good luck though, its a rewarding hobby once you get your first successful tank going, but highly addictive.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Reactions: Illion

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would recommend going down to your local fish shop abd making a list of what caught your eye and posting it back here. From there, we could help you get a nice well planned/interested tank.
IMO, i prefer to house most rainbow species in a 125g, since they are active fish and appreciate a lot of room. However, the dwarf rainbows could work well, but many tend to steer away from them as they not as eye catching for many - i personally disagree, but thats me...
Since your not looking to plant the tank, I would go for a nice inert substrate, like gravel or sand. I like sand, but each to their own - i would suggest reading up on the debate regarding sand vs gravel and make your decision of what will suit you. Whatever you choose, i would stay away from the planted substrates - your paying more for what you don't need or will help.

Good luck though, its a rewarding hobby once you get your first successful tank going, but highly addictive.

What kind of filter and heater would you recommend? Merry Christmas!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Also, some fish I've seen that catch my eye are African cichlids, angelfish, and discus.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Get a heater thats in your budget, cant really help you there since im in aus. I would suggest going out and buying an inline heater - results in a cleaner tank!

As for filtration, i personally think that a canister is the way to go. It can be as cheap or expensive as you want, if there isnt really a budget, id go with a fluval (like fx4) or a ehim (2217)... if your in a budget, many have great experience with the sunsun brand.
Whatever you choose - research all beforehand, to suit you - get it for the appropiate size of the tank. I would suggest ignoring the manufacturers reccomended tank size, as they tend to overestimate. Rather, go with gallons/liters per hour. For a tank your size, you want at least a 5x turnover rate in an hour - so around 300 g/h - but i would suggest doing a 7 - 10x turnover rate.

Edit... i would stay away from discus, they rather delicate and no offence, but when starting out its better to start with hardy fish... plus the tank size is a little too small for discus - many go with at least a 75g...
As for africans, they make a great looking tank in an intricate rock scape... but will not work with angels and rainbow....

Likewise, angels will not work well with the larger, active rainbows but will do well with the blue eyes, threadfins ect.

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
60 gallon is a great size for a nice school of dwarf neon rainbows - I’ve kept them with pearl gouramis so I would expect them to do well with angels.

I agree 1000% - start off with some fish that are inexpensive and tough to kill, and try the challenging fish down the road when you’ve got the knowledge and experience to keep them alive. I know everyone wants to create their ideal tank right away, but that can be a super frustrating and costly experience. You’re presumably going to be keeping fish for many years so there’s time for you to learn the ropes first.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
60 gallon is a great size for a nice school of dwarf neon rainbows - I’ve kept them with pearl gouramis so I would expect them to do well with angels.

I agree 1000% - start off with some fish that are inexpensive and tough to kill, and try the challenging fish down the road when you’ve got the knowledge and experience to keep them alive. I know everyone wants to create their ideal tank right away, but that can be a super frustrating and costly experience. You’re presumably going to be keeping fish for many years so there’s time for you to learn the ropes first.
I found a good deal for 50 gallon tank would this still apply?

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Yep, they should be fine IMO. Just stock accordingly.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
A good idea would be to google aqadvisor and play around with that. That will give you a basic idea, and since their stocking is very conservative, which will work well until you get familar and then add a few more fish to suit. :)

For me, in a 50g... I'd go with:
- pair of angels (or a single, as a centerpiece)
- 12 rainbows (neon blues, or the other dwarf rainbows)
- a small pleco (like bristlenose, or a small group of otos)
- a small shoal of bottomdwellers (like 4-6, like panda cories...)

Might be overstocked according to aqadvisor, but you could just start out with half the amount of rainbows and add some more once the tank has established - and your familar with fish keeping.

(Im sure you understand where I'm coming from, its like starting out wanting to keep a rare carnivorous plant... many would suggest starting out with the easier to keep/ common plants)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
A good idea would be to google aqadvisor and play around with that. That will give you a basic idea, and since their stocking is very conservative, which will work well until you get familar and then add a few more fish to suit. :)

Might be overstocked according to aqadvisor, but you could just start out with half the amount of rainbows and add some more once the tank has established - and your familar with fish keeping.

(Im sure you understand where I'm coming from, its like starting out wanting to keep a rare carnivorous plant... many would suggest starting out with the easier to keep/ common plants)

Seems great. Thanks for that recommendation that website has helped me a lot.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Ok one more question. Would there be any extreme aggressiveness?

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
Yup good advice.

Pictures of the dwarf neon rainbows aren’t all that impressive, but they flash a brilliant blue when the light hits them right. I think you’ll be very happy with them. Of the school of 12 suggested, I would make 4 of them males. Once they reach sexual maturity you’ll get to see them court and spawn. The social dynamic is really interesting to watch.

Corys are always a good choice for bottom feeders inna community tank. Loaches are another option. They can be a bit more expensive than Corys, but IMO they’re worth it because of their antics. Big question for many, though, is what’s available for purchase at the store...

I also agree that 100% stocked on aqadvisor is by no means a fully stocked tank, but is a good place to start. Better to find out that there’s room in your tank for more fish than come to realize you’ve crammed way to many fish in the tank.

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
Ok one more question. Would there be any extreme aggressiveness?

There’s always that potential - just a matter of how likely is it to happen. Rainbows, 1 angel, 1 pleco and some bottom dwellers is highly unlike to produce any extreme aggressiveness. Make that single angel a mated pair, and that likelihood goes up quite a bit. Still unlikely for any extreme aggressiveness, but if it did happen I wouldn’t be shocked. I consider extreme aggressiveness to be fish fighting to kill each other.

Reactions: aussieJJDude

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
There’s always that potential - just a matter of how likely is it to happen. Rainbows, 1 angel, 1 pleco and some bottom dwellers is highly unlike to produce any extreme aggressiveness. Make that single angel a mated pair, and that likelihood goes up quite a bit. Still unlikely for any extreme aggressiveness, but if it did happen I wouldn’t be shocked. I consider extreme aggressiveness to be fish fighting to kill each other.
I'm probably going to stick to a single angelfish, 4 panda corydoras, 1 bristle nose pleco, and 10 rainbows. Most likely I'll buy them online on a reputable website.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I've changed my mind since some people have told me that 3 gourami, 12 rummynose tetras, 10 albino corys, and a bristlenose pleco would do better

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
I've changed my mind since some people have told me that 3 gourami, 12 rummynose tetras, 10 albino corys, and a bristlenose pleco would do better

Depends on the species of gourami... some dont do well in groups.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
They said pearls but I'm not sure where to find them

Pearls do better either in a large school (like around 5) or as a single fish.

They rather common, and can be found in most petstores.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Pearls do better either in a large school (like around 5) or as a single fish.

They rather common, and can be found in most petstores.

Do you think the pH in tap water will harm the fish? I'm not sure how much pH my water has, what does a household regularly have?

1 - 20 of 79 Posts