Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi sorry I know there will be a section on here about the initial cycling of the tank. However every time I click on it to read it, it opens a blank window.

I have a small 30X20X15cm tank, holding 3 neon tetra at the moment. I have also bought a API testing kit.

The tank has been running for two weeks now and I have the following results.

PH 7.4 (slightly high for neon's but this I can address)
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 5.0ppm
Nitrate 0

I was reading that the filter requires ammonia and nitrite to create nitrate, as my tank has no ammonia would this be a case of I need a few more fish to raise the ammonia levels in the tank or am I still in the nitrate cycle?

I have been told a small tanks are hard to sort out, but I am determined to get there one way or another.

Cheers for any replies

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Sorry about the faulty link. Work is in progress to fix all that kind of stuff.

The fish are producing ammonia, but you're in the midst of cycling. The bacteria are converting the ammonia already which is why you have nitrites. The nitrites are high so you might wish to do a water change to lower them.

Normally I'd say about how neons need a larger group, but not in this case. Please don't add anymore fish. You don't need them as an ammonia source and the frank reality is that at 2.4 gallons the tank is just too small for neons.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. I have done 25% water change.

I understand the concern for the fish, these tetras are only 1/2 inch in size and they'll only be in there till I get my 60ltr tank up and running after Xmas.

Can't wait to get it sorted but my wife says after Xmas because she wants the Xmas tree stood where tank is going.

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
Heehee, tanks DO have a bad habit of getting in the way of things like Christmas trees, but at least you get to enjoy them year-round! ^_^

Really glad to hear you plan to upgrade! 60ltr is *almost* 16 gallons - that will give you a bit more room to work with, but is still considered to be a small tank, so you'll want to choose future inhabitants with care!

For now, I agree with what BGW has said - keep a close eye on the toxins as this tiny tank goes through it's cycle, and do many small water changes so as not to shock the inhabitants - while keeping the water clean for them. Best of luck with the cycling - it sounds like you're almost through!

Keep us up to date - and WELCOME TO TFK!!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts