Tropical Fish Keeping banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I already have an established 10 gallon tank with fishes already in it. I started cycling a 20 gallon and after making sure the water parameters were where they need to be, it became cloudy overnight. So I’m wondering if I can take for example a decoration from my established tank and transfer it to my new one to help with the bacteria bloom before adding new fish?

·
Registered
8 Posts
The old way of introducing beneficial bacteria into a new aquarium is to put some water from an already established one. For beginners, it is best that you stick to the not-so-fast acting bacteria starter just to be on the safe side and always check the ammonia and nitrate levels.
The good thing about them is that you know exactly what kind of bacteria you’re dealing with. You just need to pour a designated amount of the bacteria starter into a new aquarium, and then wait until the water cycles. :)

·
Registered
I have two tanks, one is cycling and one is a 5 gal (Soon to be upgraded)
247 Posts
I think that's a really good idea. I would only out a little bit from your established tank into it to be safe.

·
Registered
I have two tanks, one is cycling and one is a 5 gal (Soon to be upgraded)
247 Posts
I did some research and musk turtles can go with them. Here is some information I found about other animals that can be housed with them: Green anoles, small day geckos, and treefrogs can be kept with fire-bellied toads because they occupy a different ecological niche in the terrarium. Species active during the day, such as anoles and day geckos, are a good balance with these frogs. However, animal density should be small.

·
Registered
I have 11 fish in 20 gal tank our max is 12 fish we make sure our fish have plenty of room.
7 Posts
When I started it did that too it's fine it's just good bacteria growing

1 - 6 of 6 Posts