Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There has been a lot of discussion about blackouts lately. After much reading and much delaying; mine started at 9:00 pm tonight. I have what has been identified as cyanobacteria(probably butchered the spelling). I fist noticed it about 3 weeks ago. It was in my Rotala on, on my driftwood, and on my sand in spots. I vacuumed it up as much as i could and upped my ferts and it got better for a little while, but never has completely cleared up. Although I've vacuumed it several times and it's not as pronounced as before, I believe it is the time for a blackout.

I've also got a toddler at home that is very very active...to say the least..lol. I cannot simply throw a blanket over it(he'll pull it off in about a second) so i've rigged up some garbage bags to block the light. I'll post some pictures of my redneck setup soon; probably on monday.

I fed my fish a hearty meal tonight, then did a large water change (50%), careful to vacuum as much of the bacteria out of my plants and off my driftwood. Then i made my garbage bag setup and the funny thing was that the static electricity helped hold the bags to the tank(i still added some scotch tape to white-trash it up a little more).

I hope i can stay strong for the 3 days...possibly 4...if that would be the best.

@Angel...the pics are definitely coming soon, and i know you'll appreciate the "southern engineering"

I'm a little nervous about the blackout and not seeing my tank, my plants, my fish ;but i think the outcome will speak for itself.

All comments are welcome

·
Registered
4,806 Posts
:lol: oh man...when I seen this post I couldn't wait for the 2sec it takes to load wanting to see the pictures of the "southern engineering" and then............. no pictures :cry:

I'm crossing my fingers that like for Hawkin or myself or others this will also cut your problem for good now.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm letting the anticipation build....lol...actually i forgot the camera at my wife's office. I'll go get it tomorrow and get some pics up before the super bowl.

·
Registered
4,806 Posts
Disastrous....tssss.....man if I can't sleep tonight its gonna be YOUR fault and your's only! :)

·
Registered
4,806 Posts
:thumbsup: dang that's even BETTER then I thought it would turn out....priceless...absolutely priceless...THANK YOU so much for sharing that I needed a good laugh just now:lol:

·
Registered
4,806 Posts
Absolutely!
Now I'm gonna cross my fingers for you and hope that after a few days you'll post the same success story then Hawkin or myself or anyone else too that would be very awesome then.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I hope so too. I had a lot/ most of the visible cyanbacteria vacuumed up. Mine was not nearly so pronounced as the one in the post we both commented on earlier. I think I'm going to do 3.5 days of total blackout. Then i can turn it on for a full day of light.

I saw you say on the other post that low nitrate can be a causing factor in the growth. My nitrates stay between 5-10 ppm, is that too low?

Also: could too much CO2 be a factor in the growth, even when dosing twice weekly with comprehesive supplement?

I do add co2 from my diy system during the day...at night i turn it off, it's off now for the blackout
I have 1.6 WPG from my 65k and 10k T5's.

·
Registered
4,806 Posts
Here's a pretty poor shot of mine when it had first started last year (when I set the tank up) from there it went to this blueish-greenish goop that coated the whole gravel over the plants/ leaf's.....it was NSATY to say the least.
At the "nasty" point I then did a large w/c with a good gravel vac blocked it out for a few days compleatly, afterwards when i "lifted the curtains" the blueish-greenish goop had turned into what I could only describe as dust bunnies, I again did a large w/c with a hardcore gravel vac and its been gone for good since then.

Have to add, after that I ran my lights 5hrs on 4 off 5 on for a few weeks before I change that then to the full 10hrs/ day (because I had also had 4 other algae types going not just that lol)

IMO the nitrates you have there are fine, that's what I got in some the other tanks and they're doing just great.

I have pers not experienced that too HIGH CO2 can support its growth not had I found any article during my research that would suggest that; no or extremely low CO2 has a impact on certain algae yes.

Personally I find the light a little high in wattage, but if that's what works for you (as well as others) that's great. Its just simple: The more light the more nutrition and the more CO2 is needed - Less light less nutrition less CO2...So personally I find it easier to balance a tank with lower lights (well and the act I house Tetra's and other fish right now that pref dim tanks anyway so...)

Attachments

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks Angel..i know with enough patience i'll find the perfect balance for my tank. As always you've been supportive and helpful. :)

·
Registered
4,806 Posts
You're welcome; keep me posted how this is going now :)

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, my tank has been in total darkness for about 38 hours now, and i am having some major withdrawals...lol. It's snowing here, coming down pretty good. They're saying we're going to get 4-8 inches. But all the weather talk aside, i'm ready to see my tank again, alas, i'll have to settle for looking at pictures for a few more days.

·
Registered
4,806 Posts
Just hang in there; its hard but hang in there :) I think Hawkin had the same problem and sneak peaked after day 2 or so to check on things real quick (just through the curtain not turning lights on)

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I couldn't just peek real quick...lol...it's gotta be "cold turkey" with me, like when i quit smoking; will be a year at the end of the month.:)

·
Registered
4,806 Posts
:welldone:hey congrats on the smoking; that's awesome!!! (Me being smoker myself and not even remotely close to quitting unfortunately)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts