Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, right now im a college student living in the dorms, i recently got busted for having a large collection of reptiles in my room and had to take them all home, but i still want a pet in the dorms. unfortunatly the rule is i must have something aquatic in a small tank.

So i wanna start a 5 gallon or less preferable freshwater tank, but no idea what to put in it. i need suggestions of fish (besides tetras, betta, and goldfish) that can live in that small of a tank, or any other kind of aquatic animals (which i would actually prefer over a fish) the weirder the better like shrimp or some kind of invert, i just want some kind of interesting aquatic (or even semi aquatic) animal that i can keep in a 5 gallon or smaller tank. so you guys get any suggestion im all ears. thanks

·
Registered
188 Posts
Hello fellow student! :) You could put a bunch of plants and driftwood in it for cherry or amano shrimp... they're very cute. I'm actually thinking of setting up a separate tank just for cherry shrimp because it looks so good. Or you could turn the tank into a vivarium for newts. I think there are a couple of people on here who keep them.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
In a 5 gallon tank, you could do 1 dwarf puffer or 3 to 5 ottos or 5 pygmy cories or 5 bumblebee gobies (brackish), or 5 or 6 dwarf rasboras of some sort (microrasbora maculata) or a couple of male Endlers or a couple 2 or 3 sparkling gouramis, or you could do a shrimp tank.

What do they mean by small, though? Is a 20 long small? Howabout a 15? Once you get to the 15, you really expand your choices a lot.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Hes perfectly fine were he is except for the sick Platty.
My friend breeds newts and he said the setup is just fine.

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
Let's stay on topic.:wink2: Or I'll find my self splitting those posts again if they completely veer the original topic away.:blueshake:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts