Tropical Fish Keeping banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
I've done a lot of reading about starting my own african cichlid tank for my 55G, but I decided I didn't want to because of the cost. To my understanding, the best type would be the Mbuna of Lake Malawi. Overstocking the tank is a must, because it will divide the aggression out, then follow it with over-filtration. General set up would be 3 species of Mbuna, 1 male and 3-5 females of each. If you chose to go with Demasoni as one of the species, go for 2 males and 8-10 females, smaller size, and a bit less aggressive, so higher numbers will help them stand against the other species. My plan was Demasoni (Blue, black barred) 2M 8F, Psuedotropheus Acei 1M 3F and Red Zebra 1M 5F. I found almost all of the info I needed here:
What is an easy, colorful stocking list for a Mbuna tank?
Hope some of that helps! Keep us posted!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Yeah. The hard thing is determining the sex when most shops only sell them as juveniles, so it's quite the gamble when trying to mix species. I decided to raise some Super Red Severums in a 55g (Only 1" right now) along with some 1" turquoise rainbows and lake tebera rainbows. Going to upgrade to a larger tank when it's needed. An all african tank would be awesome, but I'm just not rollin' in the cash. Haha. Good luck!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.