Tropical Fish Keeping banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a 55 gallon freshwater that's heavily planted and running two fluval C4 HOB filters, it's houses 9 cherry barbs,10 bloodfin tetras, 6 mollies and 9 albino cories, been up and running for over 2 years .

I'm planning to start a 55 gallon cichlid tank and as far as cycling what I plan to do is transfer one of the Fluval C4's from my current 55 to the cichlid tank. My question is knowing that its preferable to add all your cichlids at once will that filter have sufficient bacteria to do that? Or will that not be enough to "instant cycle" The filter is rated for up to 70 gallons and does 264Gph, I would also add another filter on the cichlid tank as I know they need lots of filtration. I'm hoping to get about 20 cichlids in there.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Looks like we're in the same boat here, lol. I've decided against it too because of cost. I've also been doing a lot of reading up and just think its too risky for me at this stage. The only quality Lfs were I could get them charges almost double what they should cost, then you have to deal with the possibility of aggression with them no matter how carefully you stock them which could lead to several dead fish and obviously loss of money. Going to go ahead and do another planted 55 community, really wanted to start either a cichlid or a semi aggressive but just not comfortable at this point trying them, staying with what I know best.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.