Tropical Fish Keeping banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't believe i have only had these bolivian rams for a week and now one has something wrong with it.He just stays at one place in the tank for long periods of time about half way from the bottom at the back of the tank.He has not eat in 2 days and is breathing with rapid gill movement.There is no signs of injury or wounds on him and none of the other tank mates are bothering him.His color is good not faded or anything.He moves sometimes to a different part of the tank slowly but just mostly sits without swimming around.

water is amn-0 nitrite-0 nitrates-around 12 PH is at 7.0 temp is 79F

its a 55 gallon with several cave type places for cover..

Any advice would be greatly appreciated..

Thanks a bunch..

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No there is no swelling of any kind,visually he looks fine no wounds or cuts or anything..And now one of the other ones is doing the same thing... :(

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What type of internal parasites might cause this kind of behavior? Or is it possible that internal parasites can cause this type of behavior?

I don't know what to do and i fear if i don't do something fast they wont last long cause of the not eating...

·
Banned
2,012 Posts
im having problems with my rams too. Check there anus, if there are little red worm-like things coming out them it has tapeworms (or string worms, one of those). My ram that has these little worms coming out doesnt move much and just sits there unless its friend/foe (they change everyday) comes near him.

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
musho3210 said:
im having problems with my rams too. Check there anus, if there are little red worm-like things coming out them it has tapeworms (or string worms, one of those). My ram that has these little worms coming out doesnt move much and just sits there unless its friend/foe (they change everyday) comes near him.
They sound more like camallanus worms to me.

·
Banned
2,012 Posts
well i have a thread dedicated to them, im treating with a special medicated food that contains metrondazole and praziquantel. I think the latter one is for worms and the first one is for parasites

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok the one that has been not eating has something hanging out his rear end but its not red and its very thin almost looks like a hair and is about a inch long and kinda looks transparent..I had to look very hard to see it but theres something there.

But the problem is how am i going to treat him if i can't get him to eat??

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
musho3210 said:
well i have a thread dedicated to them, im treating with a special medicated food that contains metrondazole and praziquantel. I think the latter one is for worms and the first one is for parasites
Ryan, worms that are inside the bodies are still considered as 'internal parasites'.

·
Banned
2,012 Posts
Blue said:
musho3210 said:
Ryan, worms that are inside the bodies are still considered as 'internal parasites'.
oh, well i guess the metronidazole will work for that too. I dont want to steer off topic on this thread so can we talk about my worms on my thread.

That stringy stuff coming out of its anus doesnt sound good magic_marty. I dont know what it is but im pretty sure it doesnt belong there....

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well the little fella didn't make it he died yesterday morning :cry: ..

Dangit i hate when things go wrong when you try to the best you can do..
Now the other one that was acting like him is getting worse it seems and it to has a very thin hair looking string hanging out of his rear.And he to is not eating very well i fear he is going to suffer the same fate as the other one did. :cry:

The lfs replaced him cause he died before the 2 week guarantee ran out.So i did get another ram and it appears to be doing good so far.Its full grown and quite a bit bigger but i think its a female.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks musho.. I am going to do alot of reading on it to try to learn all i can so maybe in the future i can better target the problem more quickly..

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
as soon as i get the chance to find it i am going to get some Parasite Clear Tank Buddies....( Active ingredients: praziquantel; N-[[(N-Chlorophenyl)amino]carbon 1]-2,6-difluorobenzamide; metronidazole; acriflavine.) it treats internal and external parasites and claims to not harm the biological filtration...I hope it works and hopefully before i loose another ram..

·
Banned
2,012 Posts
magic_marty said:
as soon as i get the chance to find it i am going to get some Parasite Clear Tank Buddies....( Active ingredients: praziquantel; N-[[(N-Chlorophenyl)amino]carbon 1]-2,6-difluorobenzamide; metronidazole; acriflavine.) it treats internal and external parasites and claims to not harm the biological filtration...I hope it works and hopefully before i loose another ram..
you can only treat internal if you can get the medication inside the body, using a product that is meant to be mixed with food helps

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
oh my...I can't believe this, i lost the other one today from obviously the same sickness.He was doing the exact same thing as the first one that died.None of the other fish in the tank are behaving like that they all seem fine other then flicking off stuff and i am going to treat that soon as i can get to the pet shop to get some meds.

With the very rapid gill movement could it be gill flukes or some other gill disease? I need to figure this out some how....the other 3 rams i have left are acting fine so far..

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
There are lots of diseases associated with rapid gill movements. If it were gill flukes, were the rams scratching their gill lids frequently? Were they gasping on the surface? Were the gill lids open or closed?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I didn't see them scratching but i seen one of the ones i have left flashing against the gravel a couple of times earlier tonite.They werent gasping at the surface they just sit on the bottom isolated most of the time to them selves.
Would not eat at all and very rapid gill movement, at least 2 times per second of gill movement, the gill movement was so sever that it moved there whole body from side to side.The lids were not held open they only opened when they exhailed..The dorsal fins and caudel fins were mostly clamped and the other side fins were fanning as they breathed..Both of the ones that died had a very thin looking clear string from there rear.But on the second one that died the hair thing didn't stay there the whole time he was sick i only seen it for a short period and then it was gone.It was about 1 inch long.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts