Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Algae sub section for plants
A extension of phot of the month but rather do a Tank of the month with photo of the month

Contests that award coupons instead of prizes. don't have to ship a promo code

a expansion onto classifieds, have a way to post feedback that is found on users profiles. if im going to buy something from someone I prefer to be able to read previous buyers/sellers feedback related to that person. think ebay feedback Ex how was their packing, condition of product and speed of money transfer

bring back member showcases too many members is not a valid excuse IMO. if needed get a mod specifically for showcases. it helps the community get to know each other better. im more likely to keep posting a forum where I know the members by more then their tank.

have a mod that atleast posts in member section, yes its not reasonable to post hi to every new user but for new people to see that the admin is actually part of the community is a big + in my book. along with answering pms and such. if admin too busy to handle all of this why not get a second asst admin?

what happened to not announcing new mods?

let the community know whats going on. specifically ive overheard on forum that we have a new server. is that not something to be proud of and share with the community? a bigger faster server is something to be proud of - were growing and could of also been a place to give a heads up to members that there may be some bugs like there was the other week.

im sure ill think of more but theres something for yall to chew on...

·
Administrator
5,465 Posts
We'll try to answer your questions and discuss your ideas and let you know.

·
Administrator
5,465 Posts
lol... we WILL!... a reply is in the works... it's just a BIG list!!! I don't know all the answers yet and don't want to speak for the whole group so I've put it out to the mods for more input.

·
Administrator
5,465 Posts
Pm's to Yungster? Have you sent a lot?

Are they issues you need to bring to us?

·
Registered
22,557 Posts
The group of moderators on TFK function as a team. Any items/issues brought forward by any member whether to an individual moderator or (preferably) here in this newish section of the forum, will be discussed by the team. Except for system-related issues, the moderator team makes the decisions respecting the forum and members.

All members should be able to appreciate that with 10 or 11 (now) moderators this discussion cannot occur overnight in most cases. We have moderators in different time zones--some literally on the other side of the globe from each other--and everyone's input is valued.

Another thing to remember is that not all issues raised are of equal importance. Some issues will need immediate action for the safety and well-being of the forum. Others will be less urgent.

Please be patient--this applies to all members, with all issues; I just brought it up here as it seemed relevant.:)

Byron.

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
nope, all just suggestions I have pmd, this thread is a sum of them all. but being ignored by him isn't the best way to encourage people to bring new ideas forward as im sure im not the only one ignored through pms by him. can only be detrimental cant see any good coming from treating the community like that.

·
Administrator
5,465 Posts
Thanks Byron. Well said !!

Patience my man... patience!! I have drafted answers to all your questions but I need the other mods to advise me on them.

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
It may need to be understood that Yungster has just recently taken over the Administration of the forum. However, Yungster's role is more of a Technical Administrator of the forum from an Information Technology perspective. He is not a fishkeeper or an active participant/member in the discussion forum(s).
There are nearly a dozen participating Moderator Members that deal with the day to day issues. Although Moderators can and do make some routine decisions and actions, we also function as a team and many issues require a discussion and consensus agreement. This consensus ensures a more balanced cohesive result.
As Byron points out, this takes some time and some issues require more discussion than others.

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i think we can stop kicking the dead horse as far as how fast of a answer im expecting. so basically the admin is more of a tech guy that runs the interworkings of the site. so in turn instead of bothering with his customers "ths community" he is busy working on behind the scene things. I understand someone has to take care of it, however maybe sharing with the community to not expect any posts or pm replys from him might have been a good idea. and to tell them he just handles behind the scene things and to pm you guys or post in this section.

its kinda like a owner of a store that cares nothing about the customers or what he is selling. but rather that the repairs are made bills are paid and money is in his pocket. is that a wrong analogy?

to put it in perspective I sent him a pm maybe a week or two after he was announced, so it has been a while. and yes I understand the team idea here think as a team work as a team decide as a team. even if my pm was in deliberation of yall a reply pm would of been sufficient then to leave me hanging thinking I was ignored.

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
A System Administrator is nothing like a store owner and you're not a paying customer. I'm sure there's a reason that Yung hasn't gotten back to you, not the least of which is what has been explained to you here over and over.
Thank-you for your input and your patience.

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I know for a fact revenue is generated from this site from traffic, me visiting the site is traffic. advertisers advertise because of the traffic. in theory I am a customer as I am part of what generates the revenue that is given. being the administrator the one responsible for the site "owner" I gurantess he is making money off this site which is funded by the advertisers that advertise here due to the traffic.

be a little more open minded is all I ask, its a little different when your pms are actually answered since that's who the system is setup. 3k pms is more then likely the reason mine hasn't been answered. check them reguallry and maybe he wouldn't have that many.

point is a admin assistant would IMO be benifitall to the community, and then change youngs title to tech support not admin. seems the mods do the admin and he does the tech stuff right?

·
Administrator
5,465 Posts
Hello MoneyMitch. We have tried to answer your questions as best we can:

Algae sub section for plants
This is possible but we are in the process of re-structuring the site to include a full reference area. The first order of business is to sort and move ALL Articles, Stickie and possibly the Profiles. This will take some time before we can add a new section.
A extension of phot of the month but rather do a Tank of the month with photo of the month
That is a posiblility but we have kinks in the new platform with the POTM feature... we are trying to sort it out. We will have to wait for the technicians to fix the issues first. We will keep this in mind as some of issues with the Photo of the Month are resolved.

Contests that award coupons instead of prizes. don't have to ship a promo code
Unfortunately this is a flat out NO. The site resides in Canada now and we have extremely strict laws about contests and awarding of prizes.
We are working to move the winning photo up to a better position on the Forum. A discussion was also tabled for a badge or banner on the winner's profile page, however this is now a programming item that has fallen low on the priority level.

a expansion onto classifieds, have a way to post feedback that is found on users profiles. if im going to buy something from someone I prefer to be able to read previous buyers/sellers feedback related to that person. think ebay feedback Ex how was their packing, condition of product and speed of money transfer
We don't think that TFK should be associated with the reliability of a seller or a lost/non-payment. We think that our classifieds are more like craigslist, where we are just the platform that these people exchange on. Ebay makes a profit on sales, we do not.
bring back member showcases too many members is not a valid excuse IMO. if needed get a mod specifically for showcases. it helps the community get to know each other better. im more likely to keep posting a forum where I know the members by more then their tank.
Not sure where you read/saw "too many members is not a valid excuse"?...
We actually like this idea. As you say, it helps the community get to know each other. There MUST be some guidelines and restrictions tho... we have many members under 13 and many who are only 10, here with parental permission. Permission to post photos of children is not something we want to get into. We will definitely further discuss this idea, along with Tank of the Month, In the mean time feel free to post an update to your own Showcase... I'm sure your daughter has grown now that she is 3.

have a mod that at least posts in member section, yes its not reasonable to post hi to every new user but for new people to see that the admin is actually part of the community is a big + in my book. along with answering pms and such. if admin too busy to handle all of this why not get a second asst admin?
The new Administrator is having to come to terms with the forum's structure, just as we are having to adjust to them. There is a settling in process. Many projects must be put on hold, especially things that require the building of new components. We discussed the idea of a 2nd asst admin but have decided to proceed as a team. We are also looking at all the Forum areas to ensure Mod coverage, we are still in the process.

what happened to not announcing new mods?
We currently do not announce our new mods to the Forums.

let the community know whats going on. specifically ive overheard on forum that we have a new server. is that not something to be proud of and share with the community? a bigger faster server is something to be proud of - were growing and could of also been a place to give a heads up to members that there may be some bugs like there was the other week.
There are several issues with the forum that we have been working on for some time now, and others are arising. We did post a notice when we had the issues last week and will continue to do so when we have information.

We value contributions from you and every member, and we will not ignore any. But it would help, now that we know about the PM issues, if you could be patient with us as we sort this all out. We all have full time jobs and families... oh yes and water changes to do too!! :lol:

im sure ill think of more but theres something for yall to chew on...

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thanks for having a look! =)

about the too many memebrs thing for why the showcases got stopped - don't want to throw anyone under the bus here but ill just say it came out during chat from a mod.

as far as the pictures of the children and the younglings here with parents permission, maybe not mention posting a picture at all with the form that is sent to fill out, but rather leave it up to the member to elect to post one or not.

about the announcements, why aren't mods announced? why aren't new servers announced? better to be proactive then reactive IMO i know i wouldn't of uhm panicied as much if i had known we have new servers and theres some kinks that are going to be worked out.

·
Administrator
5,465 Posts
thanks for having a look! =)

about the too many memebrs thing for why the showcases got stopped - don't want to throw anyone under the bus here but ill just say it came out during chat from a mod.

as far as the pictures of the children and the younglings here with parents permission, maybe not mention posting a picture at all with the form that is sent to fill out, but rather leave it up to the member to elect to post one or not.

about the announcements, why aren't mods announced? why aren't new servers announced? better to be proactive then reactive IMO i know i wouldn't of uhm panicied as much if i had known we have new servers and theres some kinks that are going to be worked out.
All very good points Mitch!!! :lol: Thank you for bringing these up!!
I will see about some kind of announcement.

Maybe way back the reason the showcase stopped WAS the number of active members at that time. Looks like it was a few years back, the last one was June/11. And the main Mod responsible appears to have left.
We'll talk serious about this one... It's a Great idea but someone specific must take on the responsibility of keeping it up. Do you remember how someone got picked?
Maybe we should link it to the Photo of the Month winner.... the prize then becomes the Showcase info and a Tank photo! Some RECOGNITION, we're assuming the photo of the month pics are all from some one's own tank.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts