Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking if instead of Rocks can chunks of soil be used for the layout in a planted tank.Because the only rocks I find in our garden is sandstone.And decorating with them :? ?? I think I wont look good...
Thanks for replying.......

·
Banned
786 Posts
dh:

I must "really be missing something here"
as
would not the soil "chunks" "dissolve" in the tank water
and
create a mess in the tank, in the mechanical filtration process and in the biological filtration process?

Also
are you "really sure" you want to use the sandstone you quoted as the soluble impurities in the sandstone might be detrimental or lethal to your fish.

TR

·
Banned
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am not concerned about the filtaration because,I have mixed pumice with the substrate.That will give space for the bacterial colonies to grow.(I read this in TFH).

·
Banned
786 Posts
Folks:

This is "just not a good idea".

Even as you put it LTB if it is a "heavy clay" by definition is composed of very, very fine minerals.

The clay will swell and the surficial minerals will dissolve.

Also, as stated earlier, the material may have impurities which are detrimental or lethal to fish.

TR

·
Registered
698 Posts
jones57742 said:
Folks:

This is "just not a good idea".

Even as you put it LTB if it is a "heavy clay" by definition is composed of very, very fine minerals.

The clay will swell and the surficial minerals will dissolve.

Also, as stated earlier, the material may have impurities which are detrimental or lethal to fish.

TR
I agree. Specially if it is a heavy clay. Where I live, we have a lot of expansive soils. The clay we have I call pottery grade clay :p and it really wouldn't be good in an aquarium. Rocks are one thing, but still should be checked out by an experienced geologist.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
I agree that it's not a good idea. If you like the look of it there's a substrate called EcoComplete (I think - don't quote me) which is semi-similar to soil, or at least as similar as I can think of. It's dark in colour and is less "gravelly" if you know what I mean.

·
Registered
698 Posts
If you have your heart set on using the soil, I would recommend you take a sample to a local geologist to get it checked out. Depending on what is in the soil, it can be harmful to your fish.

·
Banned
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Actually I want the soil as a substrate because the organic matter will decay and that will do as a good fertilizer for the plants.However they will block the small pores and thus hampering the biological filter.I have read these things in TFH.There they were telling that mixing of pumice with the soil is a good idea.So what do you suggest??

·
Registered
698 Posts
Well, I know crypts are prolific and will thrive even in low light. As for the amazon swords, mine did well in a tank with a carbon filter and no fert. I didn't bother to replace the carbon and after a month of being in the tank, I've added a couple of doses of liquid fert and the swords still look pretty good. Not sure about the Val.

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
Avoid Nymphaea lotus. While they do thrive without problems, they overrun pretty much most of the tank and will cut off the lighting from other plants. I had to ripped out mine as it was causing too much monstrosity in my tank making my tank look all messed up.:shake:

Vals are not a problem either. They can overrun much of the ground quickly by runners which is why they should be controlled on regular basis if you do get lucky to produce them quickly.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts