Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys! i need some suggestions for soft/rounded sand for my future dojo loaches. i want a dark and fairly heavy grain size. i want something that will settle quickly after they stir it up.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
play sand and pool filter are not dark enough. flourite is not heavy enough. black diamond blasting sand is too sharp. still looking at tahitian moon sand. any reviews on this?would love to hear from dojo or eel owners.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i found something interesting, it is called nitrastrate made by maglife usa.it is a nitrate consuming rounded polymer substrate. i think the size is wrong for my orandas though.would not want the choking hazard. they have it on sale at petmountain right now.looks to be similar to the product thay rickey mentioned. rickey, was that product porus?

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
looks like both of these options will be too expensive.gotta keep looking.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
they make black. i wonder how it performs underwater? wonder how much that would run me? i am probably being overly concerned about it. i just worry about them getting cut and developing sores.

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
It's $7.99 on the website for 20lb. shipping is $14 for each pack. I believe you can get the sand at walmart which will probably be more economical.
I honestly think pool filter sand is fine for burrowing aquatic creatures, I would just rinse it repeatedly until I get rid of all the lighter particles. Usually I would get a large bucket, fill it quickly with water from the hose - swirling up the sand as much as possible. I would wait a second or two before slowly pouring away the murky water. Then I would repeat until it only takes two seconds for the sand to settle...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts