Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i had started my fish in cycle on the 27th of july, and i had used that safestart stuff to give everything a boost before i put the fish in right (they are all fine) and the ammonia is fine and slowly lowering itself. but what confuses me is that, i read somewhere else that when ammonia starts to go down, nitrite and nitrate would start to go up (to single that it was cycling correctly) but i just tested the water today (which is where i got the lowering ammonia levels) but i am not seeing either of the other too popping up at all. is this a good thing or a bad thing

oh also it would help to say that i have a 38 gallon tank with four platy fish in it, it is a very tall bow style tank with a heater, led lights, air stone/stick and a bio wheel filter.

·
Registered
64 Posts
So i had started my fish in cycle on the 27th of july, and i had used that safestart stuff to give everything a boost before i put the fish in right (they are all fine) and the ammonia is fine and slowly lowering itself. but what confuses me is that, i read somewhere else that when ammonia starts to go down, nitrite and nitrate would start to go up (to single that it was cycling correctly) but i just tested the water today (which is where i got the lowering ammonia levels) but i am not seeing either of the other too popping up at all. is this a good thing or a bad thing

oh also it would help to say that i have a 38 gallon tank with four platy fish in it, it is a very tall bow style tank with a heater, led lights, air stone/stick and a bio wheel filter.
what are the ammonia levels?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Having the same tank as you,I started a week or so later.
I added 11 zebra danio to start.
I also had 6-10 small plants.
for the bio load you have for the volume of water its going to take a long time for you to see any nitrates appear.
I have 11 zebra's & 14 tiger barb presently.
also over a dozen plants.
testing ev other day
ammonia less than 0.25
I dont bother with nitrites. (Im dosing KNO3 potasium nitrate)
after a week of 1 dose of 10ppm kno3 it falls back to under 0.5 though it takes a week to do so.(plant consumption)
I would not do any vaccuming or very light if you feel you have to.the excess fish food is helping create your bacteria.
I tried the fishless thing for 3 weeks with no sign of nitrites in that time & gave up, i read later that it takes approx 3-4 weeks for initial nitrites to begin showing.(a science paper not a hobby opinion.)
paper is in this list I dont recall which exactly.
Nitrospira-Like Bacteria Associated with Nitrite Oxidation in Freshwater Aquaria

I wouldnt worry as to what you are seeing get a few plants(If your leaning towards a planted tank) and monitor as you go.
ammonia goes to high change some water.
your tank is 380% larger than a 10 gal so with the fish load you have expect times to be extended by that ratio as well.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts