Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last time when I bought my two original clown loaches, one of them must have had some ich, which went undetected and it spread to my entire tank! The loaches got Very sick but thankfully with some TLC and the heat method, They just barely pulled through. While all of my other fish had maybe 2-3 spots of ich which lasted a maximum of 5 days, the loaches were covered for around 2 weeks.

From what I have read, its very difficult for loaches to overcome ICH...

After losing one of my original 2 Clown Loaches very tragically: (Read if your interested) http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cyprinids-atherinids/missing-clown-loach-will-my-remaining-454530/
I got 2 new clown loaches, both small juveniles. Due to my last experience I was super paranoid that I could get one with ich and have the same problem all over again. So, when picking my fish, I picked the plumpest, most colorful ones in the tank. I then carefully examined them in the bag for signs of any type of disease or parasite. They looked good! I took them home and floated them in the tank with my tank lighting shining on them, they still both looked good. So after 20 minutes, I transported them into the tank using the net method (yes I know they can stuck in nets, but I never like to contaminate my water with water form the LFS (you never know!)

I watched them closely for about 5 minutes and that's when I discovered a white spot on one of the loaches tiny pelvic fins! I was so frustrated because I tried examining them so closely. I quickly grabbed the net, filled up a 5 gallon bucket with my tank water and put him in there. So now I have a few questions....

1) The other Clown Loach, which was in the bag with the infected one still looks great. There are no signs of Ich and he is doing well in his new environment. What are the chances he picked up Ich from the other fish and and just hasn't shown any signs yet. If so, when might I start to see white spots on him?

2) By having the sick Clown loach in my tank for a little more than 5 minutes how likely is my tank already infected?

3) This is my dilemma Now... I don't have a hospital tank, so the sick Loach has been in a 5 gallon bucket for more than 24 hours now. I have a heater running, an airstone, 2 decorations he can hide in and a cover. I closely examined him today and the ich has not worsened yet (just one spot). First I wonder by already exposing that fish to my tank, if an ich attack is already imminent and if I should just put it in with the other fish and treat the entire tank. Second, should I try treating the sick loach in the 5 Gallon bucket with the heat method? Or would it be better just to return him to the LFS and get a 3rd Loach at a different store? I wonder if keeping him in confinement for a long time will add stress and let the disease take over. I do have an extra filter where I could put in some of the media from my established tank so the water parameters would stay in check. Current parameters in the 5 gallon bucket: Ammonia: 0, Nitrate: 20ish, Nitrite: 0, Chlorine: 0, PH: 7.2, Alkilinity: 60ppm (mg/L), Hardness: 40-50. What is my best option? what i do will really depend on whether or not my tank has been infected already or not. I do have a UV Sterilizer which I read can stop the spread of certain strains of ich... I'm not too sure what to do....

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Last time when I bought my two original clown loaches, one of them must have had some ich, which went undetected and it spread to my entire tank! The loaches got Very sick but thankfully with some TLC and the heat method, They just barely pulled through. While all of my other fish had maybe 2-3 spots of ich which lasted a maximum of 5 days, the loaches were covered for around 2 weeks.

From what I have read, its very difficult for loaches to overcome ICH...

After losing one of my original 2 Clown Loaches very tragically: (Read if your interested) http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cyprinids-atherinids/missing-clown-loach-will-my-remaining-454530/
I got 2 new clown loaches, both small juveniles. Due to my last experience I was super paranoid that I could get one with ich and have the same problem all over again. So, when picking my fish, I picked the plumpest, most colorful ones in the tank. I then carefully examined them in the bag for signs of any type of disease or parasite. They looked good! I took them home and floated them in the tank with my tank lighting shining on them, they still both looked good. So after 20 minutes, I transported them into the tank using the net method (yes I know they can stuck in nets, but I never like to contaminate my water with water form the LFS (you never know!)

I watched them closely for about 5 minutes and that's when I discovered a white spot on one of the loaches tiny pelvic fins! I was so frustrated because I tried examining them so closely. I quickly grabbed the net, filled up a 5 gallon bucket with my tank water and put him in there. So now I have a few questions....

1) The other Clown Loach, which was in the bag with the infected one still looks great. There are no signs of Ich and he is doing well in his new environment. What are the chances he picked up Ich from the other fish and and just hasn't shown any signs yet. If so, when might I start to see white spots on him?

2) By having the sick Clown loach in my tank for a little more than 5 minutes how likely is my tank already infected?

3) This is my dilemma Now... I don't have a hospital tank, so the sick Loach has been in a 5 gallon bucket for more than 24 hours now. I have a heater running, an airstone, 2 decorations he can hide in and a cover. I closely examined him today and the ich has not worsened yet (just one spot). First I wonder by already exposing that fish to my tank, if an ich attack is already imminent and if I should just put it in with the other fish and treat the entire tank. Second, should I try treating the sick loach in the 5 Gallon bucket with the heat method? Or would it be better just to return him to the LFS and get a 3rd Loach at a different store? I wonder if keeping him in confinement for a long time will add stress and let the disease take over. I do have an extra filter where I could put in some of the media from my established tank so the water parameters would stay in check. Current parameters in the 5 gallon bucket: Ammonia: 0, Nitrate: 20ish, Nitrite: 0, Chlorine: 0, PH: 7.2, Alkilinity: 60ppm (mg/L), Hardness: 40-50. What is my best option? what i do will really depend on whether or not my tank has been infected already or not. I do have a UV Sterilizer which I read can stop the spread of certain strains of ich... I'm not too sure what to do....
Well I ended up returning them and getting some much larger, healthier ones at a different Petco. They are about 4 inches where my other Loach is about 2.5 Inches. After 5 minutes in the tank, they already seem to be getting along :)

[/url]L1 by kmac325xi, on Flickr[/IMG]

My Blood Parrot is such a camera hog! :lol:

[/url]L2 by kmac325xi, on Flickr[/IMG]

·
Registered
211 Posts
If you got another loach from the same tank as the other one it probably has ich too you just cant see it yet.. Why not just raise your temps to 82-84f for a few weeks to be safe.

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
Clown loaches are very susceptible to ich and are often the first ones to show it. Your experience shows why it is so important to QT all new fish for at least 2 weeks. I QT for a minimum of 3 weeks. Even if the fish look healthy they can be carrying something which can cause problems later. I hope your new clowns do well. They're so cute.

Reactions: kmacF30
1 - 5 of 5 Posts