Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any suggestions on how to get rid of snails?? I am totally over run by snails. The tank in question is 20gal freshwater, I have Red Ludwigia, Java Fern? (lfs said that's what it is but doesn't look a thing like the ones in my book, I believe it is actually"Windelov)", and Frill plants. I have 3 White Clouds and a red-tailed shark in this tank and hopefully will be adding 4-6 Long-finned Serpae Tetras next week.

I have removed about 40 snails this week by hand. I placed lettuce in the tank last night and well, they love my Frill plant and the Red Ludwigia so much they didn't take the bait. I won't use chemicals unless absolutely necessary.

I have been looking at the little puffer fish that only grow to 1 inch. I can't remember what they are called but they are yellow with black dots. Would these be okay in my tank? I was thinking maybe just one. I'm afraid he might hurt the teras. Any other suggestion?

·
Registered
370 Posts
I keep the dwarf puffers and they will indeed hurt the long-finned tetras. Long fins are just begging for trouble around those little guys. One lone puffer would never control your snail population anyway as they don't tend to eat very much. The chemicals are going to cause you nothing but problems. Your best bet is to simply remove the snails you can, cut down on any extra food they are getting, and maybe think about getting a different type of snail eating fish. Perhaps someone else can reccomend one for you. Definitely do not go with the puffers though in this particular set up.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Anyone know of another fish to help with the snails? I would like to keep fish smaller than 2 1/2 inches if possible, my shark was an exception, I saw him and had to have him... So If I get a snail eater (heh, heh) :twisted: it will take care all future frye as well!

Any suggestions as to what would work in a 10 gal with a puffer or two?? Since I placed my frye in the new tank they died off over a period of a day and a half..

·
Registered
765 Posts
Matt said:
Cory Cats Love Snails.
i would have to disagree with you there matt.

i have 3 cory cats ( 2 different species ) living nice and peacfuly in my tank for about 1 1/2 years. my tank is 118L ( i think thats 20 gallons? or 30? ) and in that tank we have 'millions' of snails. the cory's don't eat the snails where as my cory ( Zoidburg ) comes up to a snail sometimes and plays with it :lol:

I have seen all these snail threads pop up and the answer is always a new fish.
be on the lookout for a new thread....:D

hope this helps! :D

·
Registered
370 Posts
As far as tankmates for dwarf puffers I suggest neon tetras or zebra danios...neither will bother the puffers and should be able to keep their distance from a puffer that decides to get a bit nippy. And obviously both of them stay small.

·
Banned
2,012 Posts
Matt said:
Cory Cats Love Snails.
actually, they couldnt care less about snails, its some of the loaches that like the snails. Cory Cats mouths arent made for sucking a molusk out of its shell, the mouth is made for looking around the tank for food. Cories will not eat the snails.

A yoyo loach are good for eating snails though

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
musho3210 said:
Matt said:
Cory Cats Love Snails.
actually, they couldnt care less about snails, its some of the loaches that like the snails. Cory Cats mouths arent made for sucking a molusk out of its shell, the mouth is made for looking around the tank for food. Cories will not eat the snails.

A yoyo loach are good for eating snails though
ive seen my albino ripp apart a couple snails

·
Banned
2,012 Posts
there no good in eradicatiting snails, i was posting that they dont love snails, i was saying they dont really care about them, sure some fish might take some apart but all fish are different. My bolivian rams like to poke around with some snail shells and occaisonally try to suck the molusk out but there no good for actually destroying snails since snails arent part of there diet.

Also might i add to not use chemicals as they can harm your bio-filter and/or damage things you dont want damaged. It is never nessicary to use chemicals. If the bait method didnt work then use the fish method. Another way is to use shrimp to compete with the snails for food, these shrimp clean my tank out where the snail cant eat and i see less and less snails every day. But the shrimp part doesnt always work and takes a long time to work if it does work in the first place

Make sure if you find a dead snail shell, take it out as it will do some things to your ph and the rotting snail will cause ammonia spikes.

·
Registered
606 Posts
I have 6 corys (not in that 10 gallon) and they all love snails.
(2 panda corys, 2 albino corys, and 2 normal corys)

·
Banned
2,012 Posts
read my previous post and find out why :)

and please, next time you want to answer one of my questions that is off topic, please pm me instead

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
musho3210 said:
there no good in eradicatiting snails, i was posting that they dont love snails, i was saying they dont really care about them, sure some fish might take some apart but all fish are different. My bolivian rams like to poke around with some snail shells and occaisonally try to suck the molusk out but there no good for actually destroying snails since snails arent part of there diet.
do your corys eat snals musho

·
Banned
2,012 Posts
so, forget the cory talk and ram talk and lets think of reliable ones

Yo-yo loaches
I think kuhli loaches work
Dwarf puffer
uhh there are a few more loaches, i think the clown loach does

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
Pls clarify further your posts instead of flip-flops as this thread is now in disarray.

Read Chris's(fish_4_all) sig. Whatever works for you may not work for others.:wink2:

·
Banned
2,012 Posts
im pretty sure dojos are coldwater though, might not be any good in a freshwater

here is the list i read on another site

* Clown Loaches (Botia macracantha) notes: community fish, schooling. BAA1:370
* Skunk Loach (Botia morleti, formerly Botia horae) (some say better than the Clown L.) BAA1:368
* Puffers (Tetraodon species) notes: aggressive, keep alone.
* Banjo catfish (Bunocephalus species)
* Malawi Cichlids (Pseudotropheus & Melanochromis)
* African Butterfly or Thomas' Cichlid (Anomalochromis thomasi). BAA1:748
* Malawi Cichlids (Pseudotropheus & Melanochromis species)
* Yellow Labs, Electric Yellow (Labidochromis caeruleus) (Malawi Cichlid)
* Chocolate Cichlid (Cichlasoma coryphaenoides / C. hellabruni)
* Asian Bumblebee catfish (Leiocassis siamensis) BAA2:450
* Giant Gourami (Osphronemus goramy) notes: VERY large, not recommended!
* Betta/Fighting Fish (Betta splendens) notes: some do, some don't. BAA1:632
* Keyhole cichlid (Aequidens maronii). BAA1:668.
* Black ghost knifefish (Gymnotidae family)
* various Lake Tanganyika Synodontis catfish species
* Red Devil Cichlid (Amphilophus labiatus) (C.America)
* Slender Bumphead Cichlid (Steatocranus gibbiceps) (Tanganyika)
* Black-Banded Leporinus (Leporinus fasciatus) S. American, large, may eat smaller fish.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts