Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
since my betta died in my 2.5 gallon ive had 2 snails just slowly growing and crawling around, there weird, like transparent with little blueish dots on there shells. i wish i could get a picture but my camera isnt the best, so ill have to try eventually. anyways i think there breeding, because now theres 4 snails ive seen. and i know its not above water because ive checked and also below water (near my gravel) theres 2 little transparent sacks with 9-10 little dots in there. the snails really love the tank, theres a small amount of green algae on the walls and some big chunks on the floor, along with a banana plant i need to get out of there since there devouring its leaves. i need an ID on these guys asap. ill post pictures soon.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
ok its a nikon coolpix so i basically killed these pics. anyways its the best i can do:

on this one you can kind of see the little blueish dots i was talking about.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I hate to triple post but no ones replying and last night they laid 5 more sets of eggs! another smaill set on the back wall, two on the left wall and 2 on the right!! i have a total of 7 now! i got a blurry pic of one of the bigger clutches

Oh and i just found another large clutch righ baove the intake of the filter.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I can't tell from your pics what kind of snails those are. I have an apple snail and don't know much about other kinds of snails.

Since they are laying eggs under water, I can say that they are not pomecea bridgesii (one of they types of apple snails). Though I think the pomecea canaliculata do, but they grow to be huge, like softballs. So I don't think that's what you've got either.

Try wandering over to http://www.applesnail.net. Under the discussion forums there are sections on identifying snails. That might help. There is also a section on other snails, which might have pictures.

Good luck!

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yes definatly gooey sacs with eggs!! HELP I HAVE SUPER HORNY SNAILS IN MY TANK!! i just actually watched both of them lay a clutch at almost the same time!! i now have 10 or so gooey egg clutches!! i think they might be ramshorn, but they dont have the usual coloring for a ramshorn so...

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
forget that, im excited! i have an extra 10 gallon i might start setting up today to houes these guys, considering this is all taking place in a 2.5 gal! heres a weird thing, the freshly lain eggs are just kind of greeish tinted circles in a mucusy sac, and the 1 or 2 day old are a greenish tint circle with a smaall little white dot in the middle. also i noticed the eggs come out of the side of there shells, near there eyes kind of

·
Registered
227 Posts
Cool! Keep us posted. Did you ever figure out what kind of snails they are?

I've only got one snail 'cause I don't want to raise babies and I'm not sure I could freeze any eggs. Wimp! I'm such a wimp! But snails are so much fun, aren't they?

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
definatly great fun. yeah fish_4_all let me know they were common ramshorn snails so thats pretty cool. not too much is going on right now, i think its a lunch break for the little guys.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
UPDATE: Feb. 18th

last night the little guys/girls laid another 2 clutches, i now have 12 overall. the first clutches that were laid 3 days ago have visible little white dots that get bigger by the hour. there about the width of your thumbnail right now.

There was also a miscarraige if you will, a batch of eggs that came out half all mushed togethor, 1 just a white circle (fungus?) and only about 2 real eggs, but those 2 look fine so im hopeful.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well i also saw a new snail just now, first i only brought over 2, then i had seen three. now i just found a 4th? 2 big 2 small 0_o

·
Registered
5,696 Posts
If you get a 2.5g full of hundreds of snails, could you send me any you don't want? My puffers love them and I definitely can't breed them in the puffer tank. I tried breeding them in another tank but my Kribs made short work of 'em. Lucky you!

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
UPDATE: feb. 20th
the first lutch laid are looking good, definatly growing into tiny snails, im leaving the lights on 24/7 just so i can grow the algae. they laid 1 more clutch on the front glass, one on the no fishing sign, and 3 on the red ludwigia. i think thats a total of.. 17?

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I know but for some reason that tank grows algae like crazy and its nice green algae so i figure i might as well.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
UPDATE: feb. 23rd
since last time there are at least 4 more clutches, and the very first one that was laid has hatched out most of its inhabitants (i think either 1 hasnt hatched or its not going to). i now i have the 2 big snail parents, the 2 small ones that i found, and at least 4 baby snails (most likely more that i havent spotted yet), but that first clutch was the smallest, the clutches only get bigger!

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
sure is, i just spotted another 2, and 1 is doing the thing where it uses the surface tension of the water to walk under it! thats reeaaly cool looking

1 - 20 of 23 Posts