Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
馃憢 Can anyone identify this snail in the picture?

I recently bought a new tank 2nd hand and on clearing the sand out there was this snail. I'm tempted to keep it but I don't want it to breed.

It's currently in quarantine and has been for almost a week.

Thanks in advance

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Registered
Looks like a Malaysian Trumpet Snail to me. They like to burrow into gravel which supposedly helps to aerate the substrate.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone get rid it is then. See I like the idea of aerating the substrate but don't want it to breed.

Registered
actively aerating the substrate is actually a good thing. you wont get pockets of hydrogen sulfide gas in your tank. organic matter decays into hydrogen sulfide. read it some where with 4 cm of soil you will get these gas in 6 months time. not a good thing if so happens one of your fishes release it or you do when your shifting deco or plants around.

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
I usually have a comb to weekly stir the sand and I believe that Bolivian rams will sift through the substrate regular which I'll be getting soon. I'd really keep the snail but realising that it's going to breed then I don't want it 馃檨

Registered
corys do a better job.as for those blue rams i find them to be delicate when it comes to water params and they do better in well established tanks with more stable water. might consider vacuuming the soil then just stirring up the gunk to make sure it aerated.

Registered
I highly doubt that it's a trumpet snail. Looks like a small rabbit snail to me. Aside from the fact that the shell is different, there's only 1..... no one has just one trumpet snail. Shame you got rid of it.

The only reason why you would have prolific breeding of trumpet snails is due to chronic overfeeding. Otherwise, they reach an equilibrium with the amount of available food. Rabbit snails are not going to breed like that, not at all.

I agree that corys will do a better job at stirring the sand than the rams, but I disagree with the need to actively stir the sand. "Poisonous gas pockets" are something that everyone warns about, yet NO ONE experiences. We see people post about every stupid little thing that comes up, yet we NEVER see posts about that. Perhaps that's the ONE problem that EVERYONE manages to avoid. Or perhaps it's just not a real problem to be concerned with.

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing, doesn't go away"

Registered
Not sure if its allowed but if it isn't then the mod may remove it. that this as an educational informative page about hydrogen sulfide. Hydrogen Sulfide in Aquariums the readers who do take the time to read it should take it with a grain of salt even if it goes against your beliefs.

Registered
I'm not denying the science - just merely pointing out the total lack of any real life aquarium examples. I used to be extremely involved on these fish forums for several years - not a thread was posted that I didn't see. Anyone who's been in my position knows that you see threads posted about EVERYTHING. Again, I'm not denying that hydrogen sulfide can be produced in an aquarium - I'm suggesting that the absence of examples of this tragedy indicate the "problem" is a theoretical one, not a practical one.

Registered
Discussion Starter #12
I highly doubt that it's a trumpet snail. Looks like a small rabbit snail to me. Aside from the fact that the shell is different, there's only 1..... no one has just one trumpet snail. Shame you got rid of it.

The only reason why you would have prolific breeding of trumpet snails is due to chronic overfeeding. Otherwise, they reach an equilibrium with the amount of available food. Rabbit snails are not going to breed like that, not at all.

I agree that corys will do a better job at stirring the sand than the rams, but I disagree with the need to actively stir the sand. "Poisonous gas pockets" are something that everyone warns about, yet NO ONE experiences. We see people post about every stupid little thing that comes up, yet we NEVER see posts about that. Perhaps that's the ONE problem that EVERYONE manages to avoid. Or perhaps it's just not a real problem to be concerned with.

Thanks for your message I didn't get a notification.

I still have it it's been in quarantine for 2 weeks and still only one. After this post I might stick it in my display tank

Thank you

1 - 12 of 12 Posts