Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, a while ago, I had algae issues in a 10g, and when I threw in a couple of nerite snails, the algae was under control, but in a sick, ironic twist, now I have snail issues, mainly the fact that more and more of them keep coming due to them laying eggs and making more of them. So what is the best solution for getting them under control that don't involve any kind of chemicals considering that I have live fish and plants in this tank and I can't really give them away because where I live, not many people have fish. One solution is buying an Assassin Snail or two, but that would be the absolute last option because I'm not a big fan of feeding one critter to another.

·
Registered
6 Posts
There's really no need to be squeamish, Mother Nature certainly doesn't hesitate :) For a snail problem (and to be humane and effective), assassin snails are perfect, just make sure to remove them once the job is done as they will also propagate (slowly). If you just can't do it, try pinning some lettuce to a 3-6 inch sieve and stick it in at lights out, then remove it in the morning before the snails all migrate back to the substrate - this can be effective also especially if repeated over a few nights.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah, except the tank has a male betta and I don't want to run the risk of easy food for them by grabbing a fin. plus not sure if any of them are right for a 10g tank.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts