Tropical Fish Keeping banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello I'm new here,
Can anyone please help me with my dumbo fin betta named Kai?

I got him this year January.
He's in a 3 gallon tank with one small bunch of anubias, and
just recently I noticed some white/grey patches in his face :crying:

I do 25-50% water changes every 1-2 weeks.

He's very active and swims towards the glass everytime he sees me, cuz I trained him to get used to my face and even hand feed him hahaha :grin2:

But I'm still worried whether something's wrong :crying:

He also loves playing around, swimming through holes and tight spaces between plants and decor.

BTW he has a few torns in his dumbo ear fins cuz of the plastic plants (will change them soon)

So What do you guys think?

I've attached link to his pic, please have a look :)

·
Registered
645 Posts
More than likely it is a water quality issue. Can you tell us if you are filtering your tank? Do you test your water? What temp is the tank? Do you treat your water? Answering these questions will help to give recommendations. I think you should up your water changes to 50% every other day. That is a tiny tank. Tiny tanks are hard to keep stable and cycle. Get rid of the plants today. Good food and clean water will help the most right now. Don't go throwing treatments at him right away. This often does more harm than good. If you can get some Indian almond leaves,do. These have anti fungal and antiseptic properties and will help him heal quickly. You don't have to use much either. Maybe half of a quarter of a leaf or a couple of mini ones.

·
Registered
645 Posts
I forgot to add... Get some real plants. Anubias is a good start. Betta love lounging in the leaves. Java fern is another good one. Marimo moss balls are a good pairing also. I think my betta was in love with his.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi! Thank you,

I guess it really is a water quality issue cuz I've been having a hard time keeping the water clear. There's all this tiny white particles/dust floating everywhere and even though I do water changes every week it comes right back!

BTW, my betta is the only inhabitant in the tank.

I use betta water conditioner to remove chlorine, chloramine and ammonia whenever I do water changes; put my heater in 24 C but my thermometer reads 27; and have been using an internal spray bar filter (which came with the tank). The filter's out flow was too strong for Kai so I attached a small piece of white filter sponge in the outflow. But it seems that it's not filtering the tank very well.

So now I took the filter out (found out all the dust came from that piece of white sponge), did a 50% water change, and replaced my filter with a medium sized sponge filter (I had an extra just lying around for quarantine purposes/breeding guppy fry).

I removed all my plastic plants and just left the bridge with anubias and little java moss.

The tank doesn't look nice but I guess It'll have to do for now :frown2:

I've been meaning to buy almond leaves since I got him but sadly my LFS don't have them and their water test kits (at least the liquid ones) are so pricey though I do plan on buying them in the near future. :smile2:

I've attached an after and before image:

Attachments

·
Registered
645 Posts
Good, stick with the sponge filter. These are ideal for betta. Has the sponge filter been cycled? Keep up the water changes. If you are able to order off of eBay they have much cheaper test kits and almond leaves. Get the mini leaves of possible. Keep an eye on him. If he is active and eating he should heal up fine. If he becomes lethargic. Let us know right away.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
White-green hair algae

Hair algae has started to appear in my betta's tank. There seems to be a lot of them going from my anubias to my heater.

Is this safe? What can I do to eradicate it? It looks funny when my betta tries to wiggle the hairs off of him when he passes through them hahaha :grin2:

Are my lights on too much? I turn them on at 7:30am then turn them off at 9pm....

I also ran out of dechlorinator, so I haven't kept up with my 50% water changes every other day for about a week now sorry :frown2: will buy them this weekend

I've attached pics below..

BTW, Kai's doing great :smile2: The white spots in his face are fading bit by bit. Before they were all in his under gills and cheeks. Now, the spots in cheeks are fading and the white patches are now only in his under gills.

Thanks again! :grin2:

Attachments

·
Registered
645 Posts
Cut back your lighting. Run it for 8 hrs to start. Work your way up to 10-12 hrs.

Manually remove the hair algae with a toothbrush.

I suggest getting a cheap timer for your lights. Anubias does not need much light.

Glad he is looking better.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts