Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 20 of 161 Posts

·
Registered
675 Posts
wow that is a nasty sump. Your an exelent handy man. actualy i have been having bubbles problems in my new tank so i thinki will turn my sump into somethink like that. How did you attach the glass to the tank? I heard silicon doesent stick?
Ps
did you get my pm?

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Big Steve I like your crafty sump. Only 1 quick question before disaster. Your water line will be about 2" from the top. Have you thought about insurance area if the power ever fails? I'm betting $1 tonight that in the event of a power failure your sump will quickly overflow. I don't mean to play devil's advocate but I would really hate to see the post about flooding your carpet and know I never said anything.

·
Banned
1,591 Posts
Yeah he has a battery backup for the pump.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
trreherd said:
wow that is a nasty sump. Your an exelent handy man. actualy i have been having bubbles problems in my new tank so i thinki will turn my sump into somethink like that. How did you attach the glass to the tank? I heard silicon doesent stick?
Ps
did you get my pm?
I used Aquarium silicone and, for the time being, it seems to be holding just fine. I will be testing the contraption a little later and will post on how well the silicone holds up. And No, i did not recieve a PM from you, could you try to resend it?

caferacermike said:
Big Steve I like your crafty sump. Only 1 quick question before disaster. Your water line will be about 2" from the top. Have you thought about insurance area if the power ever fails? I'm betting $1 tonight that in the event of a power failure your sump will quickly overflow. I don't mean to play devil's advocate but I would really hate to see the post about flooding your carpet and know I never said anything.
Actually Mike, there is 4 inches the between the top of the baffles and the top of the aquarium (20 gallon aquarium). Based on the footprints of both aquariums, that should allow 1 1/2" of aquarium drainage plus the contents of both the inlet and oulet pipes. As long as the overflow box and an "anti syphon" hole in the oulet pipe are above that 1 1/2" line, there should be no issue with sump overflow. But yes, as Mikey has indicated. There will be a battery backup dedicated to the return pump and overflow pump (if i have one). So you can send your $1 to S.K.Austin c/o Glenville Police Dept, 18 Glenridge Road, Glenville NY 12302 :D

But seriously, Thanks for the heads up.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Silicon was pretty much made for glass so if thats what you used then it should never come off.

Lets see some water!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Banned
1,591 Posts
I have no micro bubbles.

·
Registered
1 Posts
those micro bubbles are air bubbles they are caused by not using enough silicone or by moving the glass around after you glued two pieces of glass together, glass should be spaces to allow for movement (so the glass does not bind) the only glue stronger than silicone for glass is uv glue but that can not be used on fish tanks hope this helps

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
hey...we need an update...or at least..us people who aren't ever around anymore need an update. :(

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ok, well, the last few weeks have been hectic as all get out. The last baffle in the sump needed to be moved to accomodate the bigger return pump. A seperate stand was constructed for the sump. my existing 55 gallon tank and corresponding FW equipment was sold to a co-worker, and a new Reef Ready tank was ordered. Lots of last minute researching and the I ordered the lights and other equipment.

I picked up the Reef ready tank yesterday. Picked up all of the plumbing supplies as well. Most of the equipment arrived today. The lights are scheduled to arrive tomorrow. I spent several hours last night, and this morning getting the stand finished and the plumbing complete. Iand here we have the current state of things.

Here is a view of the back side of the setup once the plumbing was completed

·
Registered
102 Posts
umm i think i saw a sump like that in my lfs.i only took a quick glance but i think they had the filter media in there,rocks n stuff

1 - 20 of 161 Posts