Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those who've sunk driftwood, how long did your take to sink?

I got 2 smallish pieces to tie my anubius and java fern to and I got picky about what pieces I wanted and now I suddenly don't want to bury them. Lol I was gonna have them soak until Monday(water change day) and if they haven't sunk, I'll cave and bury them a bit.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
I've usually been able to get driftwood that sinks. I did get three pieces free with a tank that I never could get to sink! Most of my driftwood is mopani, which is very dense and the one (huge) non-mopani piece I have in my 125 only had to soak about a day to become just slightly negatively buoyant.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My main pieces are mopani
I had gotten these smaller pieces because they were $3 a piece and to tie my java fern/anubius to

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Mopani in my experience almost always sinks immediately. It does have a habit of having lots of tannins though.

I have had one piece of unidentified driftwood that's taken about 3 months to sink, and it still has to be partially buried to avoid it floating a bit.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
You can always get stainless steel screws and secure the wood to a base piece of rock (drill a hole in the rock using a masonry bit, depending on the rock's hardness), or you can simply secure the wood to a piece of acrylic and just bury the acrylic base under the substrate to hold the wood down - if it's not too buoyant. Make certain any screws are stainless steel, preferable rated for a marine environment.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I should clarify, the pieces in my tank are mopani
the pieces that I am trying to sink are most likely not

They haven't sunk yet. They were in a bucket nearly an entire day and weighted underwater overnight. I'm giving them a boil this morning as I read it sometimes helps "uncorking" dry pieces.

·
Registered
9,426 Posts
one small piece of my wood took around 4 days to sink,it just floated
around the tank happily minding it's own business ,then begrudgingly sank.
this bit of wood does this every time without fail,when i have dried it out,
and stored it away for another time.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well boiling doesn't seem to have helped. I just decided to let it float around the tank until tomorrow. if it's still floating, I'll partially bury it and check back up on it next week during water changes.

·
Registered
4,252 Posts
In my experience every piece of Mopani wood I have ever had wouldn't sink till they got water logged really good. No matter how big or small. Some would take a couple o!f days to a couple of weeks. The few pieces of Malaysian driftwood I have sank from day one..

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I ended up burying the pieces. And I think I like them better buried. Seems much more natural

I tried to get a shot of the Willow Java Fern, but it came out rather reflective :p

·
Registered
176 Posts
I bought a branchy/root type of driftwood (not sure of the type at the moment) that tends to float. It was a larger piece though. Most of the time they are sold attached to slate rock, but this one was just loose at a reduced cost. I let it float in the tank to give an amazon look, but it sank slowly all the way to the bottom in about a month. It still moves easily, but does not float at all now. It was too big to boil or pre-soak, really, but it was about a month.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts