Tropical Fish Keeping banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New member here - apologies for jumping straight in with a request for advice!

Aquarium set up a month ago, and put through a fishless cycle using bottled ammonia (and Dr. Tim's one and only bottled bacteria). It's 125l (c. 33 gallons), planted with echinodorus amazonicus and alternanthera rosaefolia. Furnished with dark sand substrate, a piece of bogwood, two coconut caves and some catappa leaves. External filtration with Fluval 207 canister.

After I was getting 0 ammonia and 0 nitrite readings over the course of a week, we introduced six rosy tetras (hyphessobrycon rosaceus) and one bristlenose plec (ancistrus sp.). These were added together (two separate bags) last Saturday, so just under a week ago, and acclimatised over the course of an hour before being added to the tank. Aquarium lights on and first feeding after 48 hours, and they all seem to be feeding well (Tetra flakes, one per fish) and actively swimming around.

Anyway just this evening I have noticed that one of the female rosies (4 females, 2 males) seems to have a white spot on her lower 'lip'. None of the other fish seem to be affected (as yet?!) but I immediately thought 'Ich!', panicked slightly and added the recommended dose of API white spot cure to the tank. I realise now I should not have done this before nowing exactly what the problem was. Moreover, our filter has carbon in it, which I understand may negate the effects....

Apologies for all the preamble, but I wanted to provide as much information as possible! I've attached a pic of the affected fish - is this the dreaded Ich or could she possibly just have bumped herself on the glass? Or could it be something else entirely?

Thank you so much in advance for any advice you can give.
Water Plant Vertebrate Green Fin

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Can't believe I didn't include the water measurements:

Ammonia and nitrite are both 0, nitrate is 40ppm (comes out of the tap like this unfortunately) and pH is 7.8. GH 14 (German degrees) and KH 10.

Thanks!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts