Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new at cycling, so I decided to try going with the silent cycle. When I brought in the plants, baby snails hitched a ride into my 20 gallon long tank and a day later my ammonia is at .2! Now I am unsure how to go about with my cycling. I appreciate all the help I can get with this.

Plants I have:
1 bronze wendtii
1 crypt lutea
2 amazon compacta
2 java ferns
5-6 anacharis stalks
4 wisteria stalks
2 micro sword patches
1 moss ball
1 banana plant

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looks good. What is your substrate?
When you notice plant growth, you are ready for fish.
To be honest, I made the mistake of not considering substrate. I chose, from what I remember, pond gravel from Jack's Pets. It's not fine and it is clunky. All blame goes to me, but I have been running around, trying to get this tank started, for my sick betta fish for when they got better and trying to diagnose and fix them. If I can work with this substrate or change it out without killing my plants, which have not taken proper root yet, I will most likely do so.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
ammoina at .2 is very very low and at the low end of the API test kit.

An example of the silent cycle (for a 20g long also).
Note this was after running the tank a week fishless. Note how ammonia did bump up to .25 a day after adding the first fish and a day after adding the second fish. But nitrates were measureable for three weeks then dropped down.

Also the pH vaules are using the api ph kit not the high range ph kit. therefore they basically are "pegging" the kit. Later tests on this tank showed a pH in the purple (8.4-8.8)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts