Tropical Fish Keeping banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone help identify what’s going on with this white mass? He was lethargic yesterday and now I see the mass on him. Any ideas?

·
Registered
1 Betta fish in a quarantine tank. 1 Mystery Snail, 5 Adult Trapdoor Snails in 3 gal. In Description
123 Posts
Remove him from your tank so other fish cannot get the disease. Try adding a little marine salt and doing many water changes to the quarantine tank. A plastic container (with brand new water) will work perfectly. You can also treat him with parasite and bacterial fish medicine. In case you didn't know, the water condition used for de chlorinating tap water reduces fish overall stress so even if your using bottled water for the quarantine tank its good to add a few drops of stress coat and beneficial bacteria. If you don't have either on hand the stress coat isn't 100% necessary and you can use some water from your (Hopefully already cycled tank) that already has the bacteria in the quarantine tank. Only use about 20% of the water from your main tank in your quarantine tank in case it has some other minor disease that could effect it more. Unless more of your cory catfish are sick he will have to be alone. If you could somehow put the quarantine tank next to main tank with the other cory catfish that would probably be best but I highly doubt thats possible. To make the quarantine tank all you need is all the things I have already described and a small fake plant or something for it to hide.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Remove him from your tank so other fish cannot get the disease. Try adding a little marine salt and doing many water changes to the quarantine tank. A plastic container (with brand new water) will work perfectly. You can also treat him with parasite and bacterial fish medicine. In case you didn't know, the water condition used for de chlorinating tap water reduces fish overall stress so even if your using bottled water for the quarantine tank its good to add a few drops of stress coat and beneficial bacteria. If you don't have either on hand the stress coat isn't 100% necessary and you can use some water from your (Hopefully already cycled tank) that already has the bacteria in the quarantine tank. Only use about 20% of the water from your main tank in your quarantine tank in case it has some other minor disease that could effect it more. Unless more of your cory catfish are sick he will have to be alone. If you could somehow put the quarantine tank next to main tank with the other cory catfish that would probably be best but I highly doubt thats possible. To make the quarantine tank all you need is all the things I have already described and a small fake plant or something for it to hide.
Thanks for your reply, it came a bit late though. He passed the next morning. I did however set up a hospital tank but he was already too far gone. Poor guy.

·
Registered
1 Betta fish in a quarantine tank. 1 Mystery Snail, 5 Adult Trapdoor Snails in 3 gal. In Description
123 Posts
Thats to bad. Sometime fish are un savable. Sorry for your loss.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts