Tropical Fish Keeping banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Siamese Fighting Fish called Leon who has been living in a large fish tank (approx 15" x 10" x 10" in size) for 3 months. We feed him well, check the water PH levels, and also change 10% of the water every two weeks or so making sure the water is the correct temperature and that the protective coat solution is applied correctly to condition the water.

On Sunday I noticed that one of his eyes had swollen up and is slightly cloudy. He also has bad conditioned fins, like they are lifeless and the ends look like bits might be falling off.

Before Sunday he was in fine spirits, eating and swimming around. Now, he seems to be spending a lot of time at the bottom of the tank miserable.

Please help me, as I need to startt the rescue procedure tonight.

I have another smaller tank that I can transfer him too, and some ICH liquid - the blue stuff that supposedly killd the organism.

UI also have a bookm called Guide to the healthy aquarium that lists all of the dedeases in the back, but there are so many I just dont know where to start.

Thanks in advance for any help.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I moved leon into a tank with fresh water and he seems a little bit better (both of his fins are now working). However, his belly is going white, his eye still sticks out, and his fins are looking real bad. I have posted an image so you can see.

I can get some medication today and need to know what to get. I think I need some antibacterial medicene, or Dropsy medicene (although I am not sure this is what he has)

Help

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
LEON IS STILL ALIVE!!

I have been using 'all natural Pimafix' and he seems to be getting his colour and apetite back. However, I have noticed that his fins are still getting a little bit worse. One if his fins has a cooton like growth on it.

Any suggestions as to what this could be? The prima fix treats fungal effects on body and fins, so surely the meds #i am giving him should work?

http://www.msponds.com/SUBcategory.php?cat...ame=Pond Care

Primafix is the second item down...

Gonna change %50 water soon...

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for your help. I have ordered the two meds you mentioned so I should get them in the next day or two. Untill then I will make sure he is warm, well fed, and has a daily 50% water change.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Bad news. Leon seems to have a major fin fungus. I am using what medication is available to me:

Primafix antifungal remedy

Fungistop fish fngus cure

his right fin has been eaten away and his tummy fin has rotted right up to his belly - which is looking.

I think I'm gonna have to put him down soon as nothing seems to be helping him.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, he's still alive. Minis his right fin and half the lower fin.

He is currently on Fungus Eliminator and Methylene Blue.

Now the water is blue it's really difficult to see him (he is also blue)

One thing that concerns me are he water changes you have all been recommeding. If the medicine is in the water and I change 20% does this mean I have to put more medicine in to compensate?

Thanks

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well, he's still alive.

I recently placed in some fresh water and am treating with the anti fungus meds. Some thing's I have noticed:

-He is swimming around a lot more
-He is eating (but not very much)
-Sometimes he tries to hit the heating device with his body (really quickly)
-I am not sure about this (because of the methayne blue in the tank), but maybe his left fin has grown just a little.
-His eye remains the same - really big. Something tells me he is stuck with it.

I am getting a proper filter for my fish tank soon and am getting rid of the underwater gravel filter - in my opinion these underwater gravel filters do not clean the water thoroughly.

Any advice as to how I should continue with Leon as he cannot stay on meds forever?

Thanks

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Leon died today :(

He jumped out of his tank the other day and I rescued him, but he deteriorated really quickly after that.

It's a shame, but I did all I could and treated him the best medicine.

I now have a really good filter that should keep the water cleaner for a new fish. Hopefully it will do a lot better job than the undergravel filter.

Thanks for all of your help.

Oliver

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.