Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have store credit at a fish store in town, and they said they could order me some shrimp. I was wondering what shrimp might be best? I already have 3 ammano shrimp, so none of those (besides the fact they go for $3 a pop at the store) and no ghost shrimp, not fond of them. Would flower or cherry shrimp be best? What about bee shrimp? I need something non agressive, and that wont grow too big. Is there any other shrimp I should look into?

·
Registered
698 Posts
Well, flower shrimp get up to 2" (seen one in my LFS that was 1.75"). Cherry shrimp, at least in my area run for $10 a piece and it takes weeeeeeeeks to get them in. I did put in an order for the bumble bee shrimp. They definitely look cool.

Most shrimp are going to be non-aggressive, but the thing you need to worry about is their size versus your fish. Most shrimp are going to be about 1" in size, with some reaching 2-4" The advantage of flower shrimp is that they have no claws. Bumble bee shrimp are .75" and cherry about the same.

The big question is: What kind of fish do you already have and is the tank planted?

As for kinds of shrimp, there are a ton of them. My next two that I've added to my LFS' list of must order are Bumble Bee and Tiger. :)

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh my, decisions are hard.

I have 2 melini corys, 3 black skirts and 6 black neons ( all are nice and big, except two little neons which are less then an inch, but man they hold their own.) and as for plants, its not too heavily plants, I have grass...err forget which kind, that the shrimp hide in, they also like one of my taller plants, forget which kind too. and today I just got some kinda of mexican plant hehe. I am so bad at remembering names.

Would the flowers fight with my ammanos? or get killed because they have no claws? also how many should I put in? I can get more caves and fake plants.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Of the three species I have in my tank, the Rudolph are the most active. They are entertaining to watch and have an interesting way of swimming around the tank. The Cherry Shrimp are colorful, but hide a lot. They are pretty active in cleaning though. The Amanos are nocturnal. The only time I see them is when I first turn on the lights. When I come back from feeding the cats, they have all disappeared. I thought I lost them for a while since they used to hang out during the day. :p

1 - 6 of 6 Posts