21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
Green killing machine :)

·
Registered
156 Posts
Should I do a 100% water change to get rid of the color and tint? I was told to do so by the pet store person, but I'm not entirely sure if I should do that. Please help, I can't see my fish anymore!
You don't mention the duration of the lights on period. You can adjust the light duration to help control the algae. It is true that you probably have a lot of extra nutrient in the water so the WC will help tremendously but does not need to be 100%. Multiple 50% to 75% every day will accomplish the same thing.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi guys. Just wanted to add a quick update to this thread. I'm honestly not sure if my problem was cyanobacteria or green dust algae because the physical signs of both are so similar. After doing a little research, though, I decided to buy an EcoBio stone. I cleaned the tank then added the stone and have not had a spec of green in the tank since that day two weeks ago. Water parameters all test within normal range and the fish seem really happy. Just an fyi.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Hi guys. Just wanted to add a quick update to this thread. I'm honestly not sure if my problem was cyanobacteria or green dust algae because the physical signs of both are so similar. After doing a little research, though, I decided to buy an EcoBio stone. I cleaned the tank then added the stone and have not had a spec of green in the tank since that day two weeks ago. Water parameters all test within normal range and the fish seem really happy. Just an fyi.
Random question: where'd you get the EcoBio, I was looking into those for a tank I have yet to set up.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
You think I should uncover my tank yet, it's been 6 days...

How does it look?

If almost totally cleared up then yes uncover and resume with 1/2 lighting and feeding. And adjust so plant thrive but the uglies don't come back.

my .02

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Nothing happened...
Posted via Mobile Device

If you still have the green then keep it covered.

also IME you need to stop adding food also.

sometimes it takes a couple or weeks even though it usually clears up in a few days.

What will happen is all the sudden you notice things a little clearer, then a couple of days later, it is totaly cleared up. So when it starts clearing it clears rapidily.

but I can take some time. But usually only of few days.

my .02

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
If you still have the green then keep it covered.

also IME you need to stop adding food also.

sometimes it takes a couple or weeks even though it usually clears up in a few days.

What will happen is all the sudden you notice things a little clearer, then a couple of days later, it is totaly cleared up. So when it starts clearing it clears rapidily.

but I can take some time. But usually only of few days.

my .02
I was actually going to get a plant, if I put a banana plant in there, might it help?
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
The black out has so far had no effect. Is there a way to speed up the crashing process? Most chemicals aren't safe for Crustacea, which is what I plan on adding next. Unless I wait another 2 weeks, by then either the chemicals would kick in or the thing would crash anyways. So can I speed this up? (I even covered the tank with a jacket, now)

·
Registered
840 Posts
Just my humble opinion but if this was my tank, I would do a 100% water change, or actually a series of 80% water changes. My goal would be to reduce nutrients in the water. Water changes will NOT harm your fish as long as there is nothing wrong with the replacement water. Dechlorinate and make sure temp is similar to the tank temp.

I could be totaly wrong about this being the best course of action, and there are others who know more than I, but I offer this advice with only the best of intentions and good will toward all. Just saying what I would do to my tank if I had this problem.
Good luck!

·
Registered
729 Posts
buy clams
freshwater sponges are too hard to get ahold of

they may not eat the greenwater into crystal clear water, but you could keep them alive (provided they were not past the point of no return when you got them from your lfs

·
Registered
729 Posts
i've never heard of anyone who has cleared a greenwater 'problem' (depending how you look at it) with water changes, ... the phytoplanton in the water is everywhere.

siphoning off 100% of the water is only possible without substrate at all in the tank, ... and even then 1 phytoplanton cell stuck to the side of anything, and the tank refilled before that little guy dries out, ... you're right back where you started.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
I did 2 blackouts, but they didn't work. I gave that up and just let the tank run like normal but without the lights or animals. Then it eventually all settled and died off.
Posted via Mobile Device

thanks.

The no animals is why I also recommend suspending feeding with lights out also. It reduces the bioload especially the phosphates.

I think is is amazing how quickly and completely it clears up once it starts.

my .02

21 - 40 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.