Tropical Fish Keeping banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
I have a 10 gallon with 3 baby platys and a mystery snail. I recently had to keep the light on for longer periods of time to incubate snail eggs from my other snail. Algae soon overgrew in the tank, getting as long as hairs. I turned the light off and scrubbed the algae off. Then I did a very large water change, as the water had become really cloudy. I bagged my fish and snail and scrubbed everything down. The new water I replaced the old with became just as cloudy and turned the same green as the old water. I tried water clarifiers but they did not work and I can't get a proper reading on my ph text cause of the already green water. Should I do a 100% water change to get rid of the color and tint? I was told to do so by the pet store person, but I'm not entirely sure if I should do that. Please help, I can't see my fish anymore!

Kill the lights and stop any feeding. Should clear up in a few days.

adding live plants would help also.

my .02

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
To control cyano (and most nusiance algaes for that matter) you kill the light and suspend all feeding.

that usually clears up the tank in a few days but it cand take a couple of weeks in "stubborn" cases.

Then after it has all died off you have two points. One with lighting and feeding which grows the cyano/algae and one with no lighting and feeding where the cyano/algae dies off.

From that point you resume with 1/2 lighting and 1/2 feeding and adjust until you hit a point where plants (corals in marine systems) thrive but the cyano/algae does not.

So actually IMHO it is fairly easy to control.

Still that's just my .02

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
You think I should uncover my tank yet, it's been 6 days...

How does it look?

If almost totally cleared up then yes uncover and resume with 1/2 lighting and feeding. And adjust so plant thrive but the uglies don't come back.

my .02

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Nothing happened...
Posted via Mobile Device

If you still have the green then keep it covered.

also IME you need to stop adding food also.

sometimes it takes a couple or weeks even though it usually clears up in a few days.

What will happen is all the sudden you notice things a little clearer, then a couple of days later, it is totaly cleared up. So when it starts clearing it clears rapidily.

but I can take some time. But usually only of few days.

my .02

·
Registered
1,677 Posts

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
I did 2 blackouts, but they didn't work. I gave that up and just let the tank run like normal but without the lights or animals. Then it eventually all settled and died off.
Posted via Mobile Device

thanks.

The no animals is why I also recommend suspending feeding with lights out also. It reduces the bioload especially the phosphates.

I think is is amazing how quickly and completely it clears up once it starts.

my .02

1 - 6 of 6 Posts