Tropical Fish Keeping banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
22,557 Posts
Well I will do another Snail or 2 since that has proven it does not stress him ... And maybe 6 shrimp and If that goes over well it will remain as is and if it doesn't ... Then I won't get any more.
Snails won't matter. He may try to eat the shrimp, but no problem there. They will certianly not be stressful, just a possible food source.:-D

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
A lot of people have success keeping a betta in a community tank - I've done it with several schools of small fish, including tetras. It's one of those things that will either work, won't work, or will work until one day it doesn't. Some people feel that it should not be done on principle, and that's fine - We all feel that way about one thing or another. What's important here, and really with ANY combination of fish (bettas are not special), is that you do something if it's not working. You cannot will it to work. As long as you have a backup plan, you are good to go, in my opinion.

One thing you don't have going for you is tank size. A ten is the absolute smallest tank that I would consider, and the small tank is not going to improve your odds. Just something to think about.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Thats the one problem I can't set up another tank so I don't have much of a back up plan so ... Sounds like Shrimp and snails it is

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
Thats the one problem I can't set up another tank so I don't have much of a back up plan so ... Sounds like Shrimp and snails it is
Bettas don't need more than 5 gallons, which can be placed just about anywhere. However, a 10 is not a good size for a community tank in the event you need to move the betta, so it's probably for the best.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Actually everything I have for my pets has to go in my bedroom and there is no room for another tank even 5 gallons. So I will just play it safe :) I like snails and shrimp anyway :) I may just wanna invest in some good food for them ...

21 - 26 of 26 Posts