Tropical Fish Keeping banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
In my experience kuhli loaches need a much bigger tank. They like to zoom around the tank. I would not keep them in less than a 30 inch tank.

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
I think you are good with what you have. I would not add anything else.

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
Ohhh. Yeah, I wouldn't get more than what you were thinking of adding. Truthfully, I think 3 mysteries are two too many for a 10. If you would like to add another snail, get a nerite.

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
Really? Everywhere I read says 2.5 - 3 gallons per snail ... And they are using a part of the tank that only the other snails will be using ... I was trying to cover all my areas of the tank.
mysteries get fairly large and produce a good amount of waste. Too, do you want them breeding? A 10 is a very small tank - that's just my feeling on the matter. I don't advise people based on what sources say - I advise based on my own experience ;-) I often disagree with sources, but I generally prefer my fish to have more than the absolute bare minimum.

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
As long as you provide them with enough food, it shouldn't be a problem. Otherwise, you'll have starvation going on, which from what I've seen is a fairly common problem with too many snails in too small of a tank. I'm sure you'll get better advice on your snail forum than I'm giving you. There is no shortage of opinions, and there is no RIGHT opinion.

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
The problem is my snail forum doesnt get a ton of traffic and I feed them daily so that shouldnt be a problem :D
I'm quite certain those that did have problems fed daily. But no matter - you'll figure it out, that much I am sure ;-)

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
A lot of people have success keeping a betta in a community tank - I've done it with several schools of small fish, including tetras. It's one of those things that will either work, won't work, or will work until one day it doesn't. Some people feel that it should not be done on principle, and that's fine - We all feel that way about one thing or another. What's important here, and really with ANY combination of fish (bettas are not special), is that you do something if it's not working. You cannot will it to work. As long as you have a backup plan, you are good to go, in my opinion.

One thing you don't have going for you is tank size. A ten is the absolute smallest tank that I would consider, and the small tank is not going to improve your odds. Just something to think about.

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
Thats the one problem I can't set up another tank so I don't have much of a back up plan so ... Sounds like Shrimp and snails it is
Bettas don't need more than 5 gallons, which can be placed just about anywhere. However, a 10 is not a good size for a community tank in the event you need to move the betta, so it's probably for the best.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts