1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
890 Posts
Poor guy............................. :cry:

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
I can't even go into fresh wateranymore without hearing the theme song to "Jaws" in my head. Shark attacks are relatively rare in comparison to other things that take human life. Bee stings, car accidents etc... The amount of people afraid of sharks vs. cars or bees however, is staggering. The damage that humans have inflicted on shark populations is tragic as well. Is it because these types of attacks are so rare but so violent that they are always in our minds when we are in the water? Is it because it is so sudden and we don't see it coming?

When something like this happens, one cannot help but feel a sense of panic and deep sorrow for the victim and of course, their family. Prayer's for Lucas' family.

Also, I second the "Be careful, Kymmie"

I assume they close off the beaches to cut off the food supply so the shark moves out of the area?

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I agree with you, Inga. Whenever I read about the US statistics as far as having a heart attack, cancer, etc. in comparison to being attacked by a shark the odds are pretty low. These statistics are based on the entire US population so in my mind the statistic is skewed. I wonder what the statistic would be if they based it only on people who spent time in the ocean? Still pretty low, I would think.

This morning the waves were lousy and there weren't many of us out there. I think it was just because the waves were crap and not due to any shark paranoia. A few of my friends just love it when there are shark sightings because it dwindles the number of yahoos trying to catch the same waves as they are. The only time I ever even think about sharks is when I'm out there with just one or two friends and it's a really long time between sets. It's at times like those that even a simple shadow below the surface freaks me out. I remember once seeing a shadow as big as my board, my heart skipped about ten beats before I realized it was my own board casting the shadow. As much as it scares me I can't stay out of the water. There's just something really, really fantastic about the ocean that I haven't found anywhere else on our planet.

You know, I really don't know why they close the beaches. Maybe to assuage the public's fear? These shark attacks aren't based on a rogue man eater. Of California's seven shark attacks in ten years (in which four were fatal) it's been a case of mistaken identity. The shark "thinks" seal, takes a chomp, and then releases, realizing it's not food, and then takes off. The problem is the size and severity of these bites. Pretty hard to survive something that can drain your body of blood in less than five minutes.

·
Registered
890 Posts
U go diving dont you aunt kymmie?? You must see some lovely array of fishes including sharks??

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
U go diving dont you aunt kymmie?? You must see some lovely array of fishes including sharks??
The only sharks I have ever seen where black tipped reef sharks in Tahiti and it wasn't scary at all as they were all shorter and smaller than me. The barracuda I saw there made me freeze with fear. Seriously, I stayed suspended without moving until they went away. Scared the you know what out of me.
My favorite place to go diving is the Hawaiian Islands. There are 300 species of fish that are found there that are no where else in the world. It's a spectacular place. If I could pick up my house and move it there I would. Unfortunately, the sky high real estate prices will prevent me from ever moving there in this life time. :-(
I've seen so many great wonderful things while on dive vacations. It's too bad there's not much to see off my coast, it's just not tropical enough.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Sounds amazing ive always wanted to go to hawaii also see black tipped reef sharks!!

·
Registered
890 Posts
5 more years then i can book a ticket and go!!

·
Registered
9,426 Posts
gosh,that poor family.
i think you're amazing kym going out there in the water,
if my toes can't touch the floor i panic.:-(

" There's just something really, really fantastic about the ocean that I haven't found anywhere else on our planet. "

i totally agree with you there kym,i find it awsome to watch,and i love to be near it.
which is ment to be a bit strange in itself because i'm a fire sign.:lol:

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
Poor guy. Be careful out there. I like the ocean but I do get scared when I can't see in the water. Even in lakes and stuff I have to make myself get in. LOL Pictures I have seen of baracuddas scare me I could just imagine seeing one in real life.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Yeah I have a major issue with water clarity, if its cloudy I don't like swimming. I also won't swim in pools either though lol. I snorkel/dive in a near by spring fed lake that is very small, it barely counts as a lake and you can swim across it without much worries. Its also a diving spot for those who are getting certified. It can be quite clear. I like to dive quite deep, I know I can get 13ft down in a pool, normally the water layers here stop you from going over 10ft down. Water will layer in different temperatures and it can get quite cold very suddenly and the layers are actually visible if you are looking for them. There is nothing here that can hurt me, but still when I scare up a soft shelled turtle or a 3 foot carp they defiantly scare me. I also have this unfound fear of the metal underwater diving platform, but I love swimming around docks.

I've swam in the ocean in Mexico, but I feel really insecure mainly cuz I'm not familiar with half the stuff out there. Also you float like a damn cork which drives me crazy. One place we went to was really nice though. They had a "seafloor walk" thing for tourists, but its not out of my diving reach and they had railings on the bottom I could hold on to. I'm dangerous when snorkeling though. I just don't stop even when its very clear I need a break, like when I get a muscle cramp 6 ft below the surface. As soon as it stops I just stop floating and go back to swimming.

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
LOL well that makes me feel better knowing I am not the only one that has a problem with water when its not clear. I think my fear comes from when I was little maybe 6 we went to the lake and my big brother ( hes 7 yrs older) thought it would be fun to take me out over my head and let me go. I was safe because I had a life jacket on but it still scared me really bad. He still to this day says he was just trying to help me learn how to swim.

·
Registered
378 Posts
For every 40 people who die of a shark attack, 40 million sharks die because of humans.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts