Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i've just recently decided that i want to get my hands on a 2-3 gal aquarium and stock it with shrimp and put it on my desk. Now i have absolutely no idea as to what i need or how much it will cost..
can someone please tell me what i need and how much or could you point me towards a website that can?
questions like: Do i need a filter or heater? and other stuff like that

thanks for all your help
-Joe

first post! :)

·
Registered
698 Posts
What kind of shrimp do you intend to raise? Each shrimp has it's own stocking options. A flower shrimp wouldn't do well in a 3g tank while some others would handle 12 or more. The same can affect temp. If you have a house A/C & Heating system set up to maintain the levels needed by the shrimp, no heater is needed.

I would recommend checking here: http://www.azgardens.com/shrimpfactory.php

·
Banned
2,012 Posts
Welcome to the forum

Whats your room temperature, if the temp is high enough you can go by without a heater

Moss, lots and lots of java moss that covers the bottom and decorations like algae, shrimp would love this

Yes you need a filter, a simple sponge filter would be suffice

A 4 gallon bi-orb costs around 50 american dollars, the jbj 3 gallon picotope is 45 dollars, both comes with a filter and a light.

http://www.jbjnanocubes.com/
you can find the picotope part on the left hand side

http://www.biorb.com/product_details.php?p_id=35&vlang_id=89
thats the biOrb

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
my temp is currently 72 deg. F so i think that i will need a heater just for safe measures..

Any idea on how much this might cost?

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
youll only need the smallest wattage heater for such a small tank. the 25w heater i got for my 5g fry tank was £11, that would be about $21 so not too expensive.

couldnt help you on whether your room temp is high enoguh though, im sure youd find out online quite easily what temperatures different shrimp like

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
I would consider going a little larger, even a 5 gallon is better and a 7.5 tall tank would be even better. 2-3 gallons just seems aweful small to try and set up a sponge filter, a heater and some java moss and have any room left for the shrimp not to mention being able to see them and enjoy them. There are hex tanks that are 10-12 gallon that won't tank up much room but will give you a lot more space to put things in and to enjoy your shrimp.

I would recommend cherry shrimp, ghost shrimp or crystal shrimp for whatever tank you decide on. There are others out there that will work but I don't much about the other species.

·
Registered
188 Posts
would you really need a filter if the tank is heavily planted? my shrimp tank has a wimpy little filter on it, but it's got a lot of plants... the water is very clean. the shrimp don't seem to produce much waste... but then again, it's a 10g as opposed to the smaller size under discussion here... i may be wrong :)

·
Banned
2,012 Posts
no need for a heater, plus the biOrb comes with a heater, filters dont take up much space, the picotope filter probably barely interferes. 2-3 gallons is fine for maybe 2 or 3 small shrimp like ghost or cherry, if they breed you can feed the babies to your fish or give the babies to your lfs. Dont do tall hexes, these need more light and dont have as much surface area or ground area. Since shrimp are bottom dwellers the more ground area the better, since they still require oxygen, the more surface area is better.

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
Any tank will work fine for the shrimp unless you have no surface agitation and no circulation at all. Mud shrimp species live in the bottom but I have not found another species of shrimp through research nor experience that will only live on the bottom. Even if they do the circulation in the tank and any plants on the bottom will provide enough oxygen for the shrimp.

A heater is needed if your normal temps are lower than 70F. Tropical shrimp do not do well in lower temps and will be susceptible to disease and parasites at lower temps.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts