Tropical Fish Keeping banner

Setting up a pond

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  bfloyd4445 
#1 ·
Greetings, i am about to set up a new pond, and would like some ideas for plants and fish. Nothing fancy, just pretty and hardy. Tried "feeder" goldfish before and the birds ate them all so going to put a net over it to prevent that thia time. The pond will be in the middle of a flower garden, with ferns surrounding it. Thank you in advance! <3

#3 ·
Comet goldfish are really lovely from above. They can handle the cold, but any fish will need to come in during northern winters if they cannot escape to a depth under the earth. There are some hardy minnows too. You'll want a top growing plant the offers shade and surface hiding places. Look on youtube about bog gardens as pond filters, very beautiful setups. Creeping Jenny is one of my favorites, as it grows half above and below the water. Post pictures as you set up!

#4 ·
I've been there and discovered after my water lilies were established and a crop of anacharas was growing with water hyacinth they do fine. Over time they will disappear cause of the ***** but i just spend two dollars and buy another twenty feeders. Tried coy but when they got big i had a pair of Golden eagles that acquired a taste for fish.
Feeders are the best

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.