Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Okay so it has been a long time since I set up a new tank. I cleaned out a tank I found in my garage yesterday, and today I went out and bout a few bags of White Sand. I have black, and a different brand, not petco brand sand in my other tanks.

I filled the 13 gallon up about 80% of the way with water. Added some Prime. Have the sand in there after I rinsed it out this morning.The sand is mostly settled, some is floating on top.

Questions. When should I start the filter? I got a topfin 30 because the quiet flow 20 I threw out.
When should I put the heater in?
When should I put plants in to start cycling? I'm using plants to cycle.
When should I add root tabs and leaf zone liquid fert?

ALSO: Chinese Algae Eater. 60gallon freshwater 76-80F peaceful community fish? Hardy? I saw a BUNCH at the LFS. I'm about to google some info on them but if anyone wants to throw some info at me, much appreciated :D

·
Registered
381 Posts
Filter and heater in now. Has to have that to cycle.... Root tabs spaced out (not right on the roots either just close by) secondly I am sure plants won't cycle your tank, stability by seachem will help u cycle but you will need to add fish food so there will be ammonia for the cycle process. I would add plants asap as well.
Leaf zone usally one a week (I would do what the bottle says you don't want to burn plants and kill fish)

·
Registered
89 Posts
When should I start the filter?
- Add the filter when ALL the sand has settled. You do not want sand in your filter.

When should I put the heater in?
- You can put the heater in at any time, but ideally you want it in place a few days before you add fish. You want the heater to have time to adjust the water, and to have time to see if the heater does something wrong, like sticking on or letting the water get too cold.

When should I put plants in to start cycling? I'm using plants to cycle.
- Plants will not cycle your tank... they operate in the opposite fashion, removing bad stuff from the water. Cycling refers to the use of two different kinds of bacteria in the filter to biologically remove waste products. Plants in this system is called buffering, as it allows more time between bad things happening and death of all your fish.

When should I add root tabs and leaf zone liquid fert?
- Depends on the plants

- Far more importantly is the dechlorinator, added as soon as possible, to remove chlorine, chlorides, and chloramines. Chloramines are a newer additive that does not dissipate when you "age" the water.

ALSO: Chinese Algae Eater. 60gallon freshwater 76-80F peaceful community fish? Hardy?
- God awful fish; 24" of anger and hatred hellbent on destruction and chaos. Does not eat algae. Will eat your fish. Fortunately, most of them are killed young by novices, so the elder demonfish do not have the numbers to open the portal to summon Cthulhu.

My above words may not be a strong enough warning. There is no reason for anyone to EVER buy this fish. It has no positives. This fish should not be sold in the hobby. People buying this fish should have to sign a waiver written in blood on parchment of human skin so that they fully understand the unholy pact they are making with the purchase.

:I solemnly swear to spend $4000 next year on a 225 gallon tank that will house nothing but this ugly, brown, demon stickfish... and if god is merciful, perhaps a few barbs.:

But yes, the elder demonfish is quite hardy, and will continue to outlive you in water that is toxic to all other animals. It is said that most die of "starvation", as they are extremely picky eaters, but it is far more common for them to die because plucky teenagers have located and destroyed the seven horicruxes that tie their unholy souls to the mortal plane.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes I was reading about the Chinese Algae Eater. So cute at first. Then they turn into monsters. Gremlin anyone? CX LOL

I was reading on this forum that if you add pinches of fish food, that will start the ammonia. And live plants will help cut down the ammonia build up and kickstart the cycle. I guess I misread it??

I'm thinking once the sand settles in a few days I'll turn on my filter. Add plants and heater + root tabs. NO liquid fert until my first water change. Pinch of fish food. See how my readings go and just chill it out. No rush.

EDIT: Also, I added prime when I added the water. So it is dechlorinated. I think.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts